TR: Anderson/Tinker Knob 7-10-16

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
cefire
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR: Anderson/Tinker Knob 7-10-16

Post by cefire »

Made the trip to Anderson and Tinker Knob yesterday. Was quite a parade of hikers along the PCT as it is about that time of year. Much more picturesque hike than I was anticipating, spectacular views!

No bugs whatsoever (but it was somewhat windy). A little bit of snow in the main (western) couloir of Anderson so I'd recommend summiting from the South (which is much easier anyway). Otherwise, only a few very small snow patches along the trail and BUNCHES of flowers :unibrow:

Beautiful wife tackling the north side of Anderson

Easier route to Anderson as viewed from Tinker Knob:

Granite Chief and surrounds:
Last edited by cefire on Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Re: Anderson/Tinker Knob 7-10-16

Post by Gazelle »

I was up there this sunday also, windy and cold but I started at 6am did Lincoln, Anderson(stayed off the snow but went up some nasty scree instead), Tinkers was awesome as always. but my agenda was granite chief which I have only hiked when the lifts were open tried to go the north side but went around the wrong side of the 2nd point to the north so ended up on the PCT again, do believe you could go around this point to the right and up Granite chief but who knows. Then it was off to needle peak good little traverse small use trail part of the way, I did what others have done and went around the left side then up...not sure best route but some of the cliffs looked mean! traversed around the 2 rubble piles to the left before going up to lyon peak (another rubble pile) tried to drop down to the right on the snow but got cliffed out so up and over to the left then continued down Lyon ridge where my friend picked me up at 2pm. Have done all of these peaks before but wanted to get a bigger mileage (18 miles) and some elevation gain 5600 before my backpack trip to the HST meetup. Encountered at least 30 PCT Thru-hikers all friendly and great to talk to! Might do Donner Summit to Squaw next weekend just for more hiking before the trip...my itinerary is quite aggressive so want to be in the best shape possible! We should hook up for a hike sometime???
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
cefire
Topix Regular

Post by cefire »

Wow, sounds like an awesome trip - always great to have someone to help shuttle :)

I'm definitely interested in hiking with ya, but I'll have my work cut out for me trying to keep up!!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Any pictures?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
cefire
Topix Regular

Post by cefire »

Ack, I'll put up a few... :)