New Years tradition

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

New Years tradition

Post by tomcat_rc »

several of us have been opting for a different type of New Years celebration. for the last few years the goal has been to do a New Years hike and if possible bag a peak. much better than nursing a hangover.

two years ago the snow on Owens Peak was low enough that we had to park a mile down the trailhead to even start. we were snow shoeing most of the day and only halk of the people summited + one dog.

last year it was Backus Peak - 4 of us with a successful summit.

Today 6 of us went out and climbed Owens Peak - we also met a couple more Ridgecrest folks on the way up the mountain - so at least 8 people summitted today. as usual came down the shortcut - it was a blast

anyone else have any good New Year traditions
mountain hiking is addictive:
I can quit anytime I want - I just choose not to want
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

Tomcat.. What a great way to bring in the New Year :D Standing on the top of a beautiful Desert Peak. We just took our two doggies on a snow hike here..they loved it so it was a great 1st day of the New Year! :)

Thank you for sharing your story :D
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

When I was into running, I ran a 5K at midnight with a friend in San Diego.

Another year some friends hiked and celebrated the new year on Echo Mtn in the San Gabriels.

1998 into 1999: Hiked up a small hill with SnowDude (north of Mammoth) with our snowboards, brought a coffee liquier drink in a thermos, and snowboarded down at midnight. I was a newbie, and it took me forever to get down because I kept falling in the deep powder and kept getting stuck.

1999 into 2000: Mammoth Mtn opened for a midnight run and we got to snowboard into the new year

2000 into 2001: Snowshoed/backpacked from Green Creek to Virginia Lakes (3 days) in untracked snow

2001 into 2002: Winterfest in Lassen with MtnSteve's group

After 2003: Parties in Mammoth (even though the parties are fun, I think next year I want to bag a peak) :unibrow:
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CinnamonGirl
Topix Acquainted

Post by CinnamonGirl »

This year I was nursing a head that stayed out way too late.
I like the way yout think. Count me in for next year!
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular

Post by tomcat_rc »

Anita - ty for the positive response. it does seem like a great way to ring in the new year - although I admit I have a bias and an addiction.

Snowy, Norma, and anyone else - Jan 1, 2008 will come faster than you realize - in the mean time - it has only been two days but I am already itching to get back out. Looks like I will need to get back out this weekend.
mountain hiking is addictive:
I can quit anytime I want - I just choose not to want
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

SnowDude said he would hike into 2008. I think my favorite was the backpack we did. 3 days on untracked snow (except for animal tracks). At midnight we were awake. It was a very cool way to start the new year.

Maybe we'll do it again sometime. But for 2008, we'll hike.

Norma, it was fun partying with you! I slept in, but didn't have a hangover this year. We were on the slopes but didn't see anyone else. Saw Kowalski and Dean on the chairlift.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;