Jacks Peak (Desolation Wilderness) April 18, 2015

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Jacks Peak (Desolation Wilderness) April 18, 2015

Post by Vaca Russ »

We started out from Susie Lake hiking southbound on the PCT early Saturday morning. Our goal was to get to the summit seen right about in the center of the picture.
1 Lake.JPG
The snow really thickened up on the west side of the lake. We traveled about half way to Heather and then turned north up a 200 foot gulley to a flat area on the south east side of the peak. It was here we found a slope offering an opportunity to try on our crampons.
2 First.JPG
I kind of forget to take a lot of pictures during the climb up. But that is OK. I’ll share the pictures we took at the top and on the way back down.

Here is a shot looking north at Dicks Peak.
3 Dicks.JPG
Here we are on the summit of Jacks Peak with Pyramid in the background.
4 Summit.JPG
Rockbound Valley looks completely clear of snow.
5 Rockbound Valley.JPG
This is the Crystal Range with a completely frozen and socked in Clyde Lake.
6 Crystal Range.JPG
It looks like you will be in deep snow going over Mosquito Pass.

This is Sport coming down off the summit wearing her crampons.
7 Coming Down.JPG
8 Again.JPG
Heather Lake is just starting to thaw at the inlet.
9 Heather.JPG
We stayed on snow for most of the way down.
10 Snow.JPG
Thanks for reading our report!

-Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
seanr
Topix Regular

Re: Jacks Peak (Desolation Wilderness) April 18, 2015

Post by seanr »

I know it could be A LOT better, but it is good to see all that snow left to stomp around in. Your consistent flow of reports from Tahoe area is reminding me I need to get up there sometime! Thanks!
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

I didn't like peak bagging and did only one (I think). Mike and I climbed Obsevation Peak (Mike was 11 and we found it really easy). Despite this I would have done Jacks Peak. My name's Jack (Jack Thomas).
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

Cross Country wrote:I didn't like peak bagging...
Jack,

I never thought I would be interested in bagging peaks. It took a certain kind of persuation to convince me peak bagging was a good idea.

Eric, we need an emoticon with a whip snapping sound! Wuh-PSSSH! :D :unibrow:
19SHB.JPG
Cross Country wrote:... I would have done Jacks Peak. My name's Jack (Jack Thomas).
OH MAN... now she's gonna make me climb Mount Russell (14,094 feet)!

](*,) ](*,)

-Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.