Tallac April 4, 2015

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Tallac April 4, 2015

Post by Vaca Russ »

We hiked to the summit of Tallac last Saturday. For a report on snow conditions along the trail please see this report:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12515

We started at the Glen Alpine Springs.
005.JPG
The southwest slope of Tallac started with spotty snow.
050.JPG
The snow eventually covered the entire slope.
055.JPG
Sport was happy to be at the summit in spite of blustery gusts of wind.
059.JPG
Here is a shot looking down the north slope of the mountain. An eagle eye can see Azure is ice free and Upper Velma is still frozen.
060.JPG
Cascade Lake and Emerald Bay.
062.JPG
Wave to her Mom in SLT.
065.JPG
No snow on Heavenly.
067.JPG
Here is the southwest slope on the way down.
068.JPG
Thanks for reading our report!
071.JPG
-Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
ThyssenKrupp
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Re: Tallac April 4, 2015

Post by ThyssenKrupp »

I see you brought snowshoes. Did you end up needing to use them?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Sport/Russ,

Thanks for the wonderful photo's.

Hi Thyssen,

Welcome to HST!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

ThyssenKrupp,

Welcome to HST! I hope you find the information you are looking for.
ThyssenKrupp wrote:I see you brought snowshoes. Did you end up needing to use them?
Yes, we did use the snow shoes. We used them as extra weight in our pack to facilitate our training. :D :D

There was no reason to wear the snowshoes. The snow was very well consolidated and the west slope of Tallac is a pretty mild slope. The snow has melted even more since our climb. We were up on Jacks on Saturday and took this picture of Tallac's west slope...
080.JPG
You can see Half Moon and Gilmore are still frozen. Here is a closer look at Gilmore and the west slope...
077.JPG
I hope this helps! Keep an eye out for our upcoming report on Saturday's climb.

-Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.