Mt Tallac 12-29-14

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
Beantown
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Mt Tallac 12-29-14

Post by Beantown »

Every year I visit Lake Tahoe from xmas to new years with family for the past 8 years. Mt Tallac is Lake Tahoe's most prominent peak. Ive always wanted to hike Mt Tallac but in previous years I lacked the winter hiking experience....but not this year! I set out on the summer hiking trail and switched to snow shoes past cathedral lake. Up the bowl I used crampons and ice axe then back to snow shoes to the summit. the wind was blowing at the summit. amazing views from the top. My i phone does not like cold weather and it kept shutting off so I couldn't get many pictures from the top. I went solo, only saw one other couple on the way up as I was heading down.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Mt Tallac 12-29-14

Post by Vaca Russ »

Wow, great pictures! There was more snow back in late December. Much of this snow has now melted.

I heard the "Cradle of Liberty" has received over 7 FEET of snow this winter. Tell those patriots to send it here! :)

It shouldn't be too hard to convince her to try a winter ascent.
Sport Tallac.jpg
Thanks,

-Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.