TR Snow Valley Peak and others Tahoe OGUL

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
Gazelle
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR Snow Valley Peak and others Tahoe OGUL

Post by Gazelle »

1/14/2015 Peak 8992, Snow Valley Peak, and Peak 8728 12.5 miles 3000gain 7 hours
Started at The Tahoe rim Trail at Spooner Summit at 7:30. Hiked the trail on dirt for quite a ways then turned to off and on snow but people had been before me and it was compacted nice walking but cold morning. Lost the trail when everyone before me stopped only to find it again still did not need snowshoes, came to the saddle with a junction to the north campground trail, from there bushwacked up to peak 8992 (close enough could not resist!).
1000.jpg
Went along the ridge should have put the snowshoes on as I was post holing but decided it was not that far in snow so didn't bother. Snow Valley peak is just a big mound with cell towers etc not very exciting but great views. Could not find a register but might have been under snow. Took pictures.
1001.jpg
1002.jpg
1003.jpg
My next peak of the day was peak 8728 which is on the Lake Tahoe Sonora list (1 of the new lists I am working on, along with Desolation and Mokelumne lists).
1004.jpg
Went straight down to the TRT and the road, where I put on snowshoes, someone had skied up the day before, down to the creek then up to peak 8728 it got steep and for some of the way every step I took I slide back probably 3/4 of it, frustrating to say the least just weird snow. Made it to the top to one of the best views WAY better than Snow Valley peak. No register. Highly recommend this peak!
1005.jpg
1006.jpg
1007.jpg
Went down towards Marlette Lake as it was not as steep, to the road and out to Spooner Lake back to the trailhead. Saw no one till Spooner Lake. Awesome day wish it would snow!
1008.jpg
Only 1 more OGUL Ralston, hopefully next Tuesday after any crowds have left Tahoe and the weather is nice again!

Kristine
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein