TR 11/17/2014 Haskell?/ Hawkins and Jeff Davis OGUL peaks

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
Gazelle
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR 11/17/2014 Haskell?/ Hawkins and Jeff Davis OGUL peaks

Post by Gazelle »

Haskell peak 3 miles 1:20 hours 1131 gain nice easy peak if one has a 4X4 you could have driven almost to the top but I had the Geo metro made it to the gate after helping a young couple jump their truck after they spent the cold night in it as they had left the lights on for some reason (fill in the blanks there). Anyway pretty much a dirt road walk I went around the right side and up and down to the solar panels and road walked back.
1001.jpg
Jeff Davis 3.2 miles 3:06 hours 575 elevation gain. This is the only class 5 peak on the Ogul list and after much research mainly through brvoyles pictures and emails I decided to give it a try solo. I could always come back if I was uncomfortable doing it. I did take my climbing gear so I could rappel down the technical section and my rock shoes. Made my way to the peak from Blue Lakes road I parked at the turnout almost at the summit crossed the road and found the old dirt road easily that goes almost to the peak. As I approached the peak I went around to the right to get up to the technical section.
1006.jpg
I should have gone further right but it worked out fine.
1005.jpg
Class 3 to get to the class 5 section, as per bvolyes info I donned my rock shoes, rope etc. and made my way up, carefully testing each hand and foot hold as I progressed up to the 1st hole/cave then worked around to the left to get to the cave one crawls through.
1004.jpg
Set up my anchor for the descent then crawled through another hole to work up the tight chimney, once out of the chimney an easy but loose scramble to the top. Signed the register,
1002.jpg
took pictures
1003.jpg
then made my way back down the chimney there is a rappel set up for this section but I don't think it is needed...if one could go the whole way to the base with this rappel it would be. Set up for my rappel which I have not done for probably 20 years so I quadruple checked everything! I was very happy to change into my trail runners then went down what I should have come up and back to the car. Doing that peak made me want to get back into rock climbing so I can do more technical peaks in the future! Fun peak but one needs to be comfortable climbing and I would definitely take rock climbing shoes, would never want to down climb it. Thanks for the info Mr Voyles.

kristine
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Gazelle on Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
brvoyles
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: TR 11/17/2014 Haskell and Jeff Davis OGUL peaks

Post by brvoyles »

Nice! Glad you were able to knock it off.

Brian
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

:D
Yuberiver wrote:Haskell peak 3 miles 1:20 hours 1131 gain nice easy peak if one has a 4X4 you could have driven almost to the top but I had the Geo metro made it to the gate after helping a young couple jump their truck after they spent the cold night in it as they had left the lights on for some reason (fill in the blanks there). Anyway pretty much a dirt road walk I went around the right side and up and down to the solar panels and road walked back.

kristine
Er...Um...Kristine...Haskell??? 3 miles? 4X4 road? Solar Panel?

You climbed Haskell on October 4.
Haskell 10-4-14.jpg
I think you meant Hawkins. :nod:

It is OK. I have a Mom, 5 sisters, many nieces and a GF who are all blonde as well! :D :nod: :D

-Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

Haskell/Hawkins both have H at the beginning, 2 totally different peaks a long ways from each other!! Yep serious blonde moment, think I climbed to many of these peaks in a short time 29 peaks from 10/11/2014 to 11/25/2014! But thanks for pointing it out VR!!! :thumbsup: Kristine
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein