Genoa Peak

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Genoa Peak

Post by Vaca Russ »

We checked the NOHRSC snow information and it showed there was only about 8-12 inches on the summit of Genoa. The four mile hike to the summit should be a cake walk. Guess what?
PC230049.JPG
PC230056.JPG
NOHRSC was wrong!

But the views from the hike along the ridge were great.
PC230042.JPG
It took us hiking over four miles in deep snow to get our first glimpse of the summit.
PC230061.JPG
We made the steep hike up in more deep snow.
PC230072.JPG
The views from the summit were spectacular.
PC230075.JPG
PC230080.JPG
PC230083.JPG
We ran into some fresh bear tracks on the path back to the trailhead.
PC230095.JPG
It was a little easier hiking back because we could use our earlier steps instead of having to bust trail.
PC230097.JPG
I will try to upload another video later.

Thanks for reading our report!

-Russ

PS: OK, I created a 3 minute video of the entire hike, but I can't upload a file that big on Vimeo until next Sunday. So, until then, enjoy this small view from the summit.

https://vimeo.com/115374089" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
kd6swa
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Genoa Peak

Post by kd6swa »

I see with the clear skies the temps have been getting quite chilly at night. Thanks for the report.

KD6SWA