Fernandez Traverse (trip report)

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
Eric1234
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Fernandez Traverse (trip report)

Post by Eric1234 »

a more obscure ridge located in Southern Yosemite/Northern Ansel Adams Wilderness
http://peaksforfreaks.blogspot.com/2014 ... verse.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gazelle
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Fernandez Traverse (trip report)

Post by Gazelle »

Awesome trip report! Looked like great fun, Thank you So many peaks too little time!
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Great report. We explored around this area (on trail via Isberg and Post Peak Pass....) and would love to go back and see more of what you captured!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
seanr
Topix Regular

Post by seanr »

Wow! Really cool! I've been to the Norris TH a handful of times, a few of those times barely making it up the road due to November snow. The two summer trips entailed a couple of different variations of Madera Peak hikes. I recall staring at Sing and Gale on a hot day and deciding not to even aim for those yet. When I get to those, now I'll do so with the knowledge of how you extended from there and maybe just chuckle. I put off my plan to summit Foerster Peak from Granite Creek and Isberg TH this season, opting for major Eastside options I had been neglecting. Even if I don't match your effort whenever I get over there, this TR will stick in my mind when deciding what else to do in that area.
Last edited by seanr on Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SweetSierra
Topix Regular

Post by SweetSierra »

I enjoyed reading your great trip report. It sounds like you carried water for your first night's meal or did you dry camp? It was great to see some of the lakes up against the ridges that are probably rarely visited. I loved seeing Breeze Lake and the Chain Lakes from your perspective, and Fernandez Pass. I've been over Fernandez to Breeze Lake and around to Red Peak Pass and Isberg. I love the Merced River's headwaters. Fun to see those places from a completely different angle. What a great traverse!
thegib
Topix Regular

Post by thegib »

Remarkable effort and write-up, as usual.
Electra
Topix Acquainted

Post by Electra »

Great write-up! I used to guide a similar trip in this area that we called the 'Seven Summits'. It included Madera, Gale, Sing, Triple Divide, Post Peak, Long Mountain and Forester. Tons of fun and great spots to come off the ridge and camp at.
Dan Braun
Camp Navarro, Evergreen Lodge & SYMG