TR Mt Mildred Picayune peak 10/19/2014 ogul

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
Gazelle
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR Mt Mildred Picayune peak 10/19/2014 ogul

Post by Gazelle »

10/19/2014 Mt Mildred and Picayune peak 18 miles 6200 elevation gain 1 day solo 9 hours

Started from the 5 lakes trail up the Alpine Meadows road at 7:30 quite cold but as soon as got into the sun it was a beautiful day for a hike. Past the sign for 5 lakes and onto Whiskey creek passing a few other junctions with minimal signs. Last time I was at Whiskey creek it was raining like mad at spent the night in the cabin but this was probably 25 years ago and karma got the best of me as I shared it with my dog and a porcupine.
1000.jpg
Anyway took the right turn to pikayune valley yes that is what the trail signs says,
1001.jpg
up and then a traverse down to the Shanks cove, greyhorse turnoff, continued to pikayune valley stopping at a rock outcropping to get a view of what was to come.
1002.jpg
Down the valley trail which is covered in huge downed trees at the top
1009.jpg
down some switchbacks until I could traverse under the willows to work my way up to the saddle between Mt Mildred and peak 8109. The climb up was tedious but not hard as long as you stay out of the willows. Ended up above the saddle closer to Mildred and continued to the peak, some brush but not bad. Signed the register.
1004.jpg
1005.jpg
1006.jpg
Don’t know if it would be easier to go towards shanks cove then peak 8109 and over but I wanted to see the trail into the Picayune valley for future reference. Am kind of bummed I did not get to see the Johnson Monument but oh well.

Traversed down to Heavens gate and dropped off to the right to traverse below it awesome area worth the trip out there,
1007.jpg
and then back up to the ridge and over past the other high peak on way to Picayune peak. Traverse took less than an hour even with stopping for some much needed food.
1008.jpg
The peak is rarely climbed as per the register that I did not sign as I forgot to bring a pen and none was in there and it does need a new can(s) the one has a hole in it but register was protected enough by the Ziplocs.

Way back stuck to the ridge and dropped off after the other high peak before Heavens Gate to meet up with the Picayune valley trail think this is a good way to shave some time. Oh and on the way in just off the valley trail a grave marker on a tree I seem to find these things (off trail will do that).
1003.jpg
Got up on the saddle and as always on my trips hauled ass out of there not seeing anyone all day until 5 lakes then passed probably 15 people before the trailhead. This is a hard day hike but was done at 4:30.

Kristine 38 OGUL’s
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
SweetSierra
Topix Regular

Re: TR Mt Mildred Picayune peak 10/19/2014 ogul

Post by SweetSierra »

Thanks for your trip report to an area that I've never been. Interesting read.
lazerskull
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by lazerskull »

Ever go West from Mildred peak back toward French Meadows? Looks like there is a ridge that passes Dolly Creek that would be an easy hike... then decend into one of the roads above the campgrounds there...
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

I backpacked that way once and also used to dirt bike it so yes.
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein