Crystal Crag 10-18-14

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Crystal Crag 10-18-14

Post by Vaca Russ »

Last Saturday we woke up in Mammoth Lakes, CA. That morning we met our new friend, Dave Miller, owner of California Alpine Guides at the Stellar Brew on Main Street. From there we drove to the trailhead at Lake George.

Our objective was to climb the traditional North Arête Route. The morning temperatures were quite cold as would be expected for the middle of October. Unfortunately for us there was also a brisk 10 to 15 MPH breeze.

After a very short approach hike, we began our climb and it soon became quite obvious following the traditional route up north side, in the shade, was going to be too cold. My fingertips quickly lost all feeling from grabbing frozen rock. Sport was shivering from her core.
2 Cold Sport.JPG
Dave, being a great guide, quickly shifted gears and moved our route further over and into the sun.
3 Dave Sun Rock.JPG
Once we got into the sun Sport was happy to discover she wasn’t going to die from exposure. :nod: :D
4 Sport Sun.JPG
In fact both of us were happy to be in the sun.
5 Both in Sun.jpg
After a few pitches we soon found ourselves on the north peak. The views were spectacular.
6 Mammoth Lakes.JPG
That is the crystal rock pillar formation just below Lake George.

Dave gave us a quick tutorial on how we would traverse the knife ridge to the summit.
7 Sport Dave Knife.JPG
He got a good shot of both of us just below the summit. We had just climbed over from the peak behind us.
8 Both Knife.jpg
We met two young local guys on the summit. They had climbed up the south ridge.
9 Sport Summit.JPG
One of these friendly gentlemen snapped this photo of the three of us on the summit.
10 Summit.JPG
This is a picture of the crag taken on the way out. Our route was up the North Arête on the left hand side. It is roughly the sun / shade line. At a little over a third of the way up this route Dave moved us a little further to the right and we finished the climb to the north peak in the sun.
1 Crystal Crag.JPG
We had great time! What an adventure! This is by far the most technical climbing we have yet done. This climb has really raised our confidence level and we look forward to many more climbs. We definitely will be climbing again next summer with Dave.

http://www.californiaalpineguides.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for reading our post.

-Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Re: Crystal Crag 10-18-14

Post by markskor »

Nice job...always wondered about the view from the top...
BTW, was doing some fishing at George down below - little slow, so I drew the Crag from my vantage point.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mountainman who swims with trout
peaksandpotatoes
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by peaksandpotatoes »

I was just wondering what it would be like to spend some time in the mountains in October, so decided to browse. I enjoyed reading this recent report, thanks for posting. Great photos! You guys look like you had a great time!
http://peaksandpotatoes.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

markskor wrote:Nice job...always wondered about the view from the top...
Mark,

Here are some more views...

I would like to someday catch the fishes in this lake.
022.JPG
Here is Mammoth Mountain and Lake Mary.
046.JPG
Your drawing of the crag is very realistic!
058.JPG
We think of you every time we are in Mammoth. Maybe someday we should meet at the Stellar Brew for a burrito. You should have seen the face :eek: of the girl when I told her I would like a breakfast burrito. She asked "What kind?"

"CARNIVORE" was my reply! :nod: :evil: :D

Thanks,

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Another in watercolor
Mountainman who swims with trout