Lake Basin Triple Crown – 3 Haskell Peak

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Lake Basin Triple Crown – 3 Haskell Peak

Post by Vaca Russ »

We had completed bagging two of three peaks. There was still some time to summit one more. We thought if we do summit Haskell, we could take showers and sleep in a bed that night.

We worked our way back to camp to break down camp. I had recently spent some time in the backcountry with Jimr where he introduced me to his large tent he called the “Bellagio”. I was jealous and wanted my own “Bellagio” for car camping. :D :nod:

Big Five was having a sale on tents. They had a Coleman Sunrise Point 10’ x 8’ on sale for $70. It has 70” of head room!

She went to make the purchase and only found one on the self. It was missing the carrying bag. She spoke with the manager and I became the proud owner of my own “Bellagio” for under $60. :nod:
1 Tent.JPG
One must leave the Gold Lake Highway and turn onto Haskell Peak Road. Drive down this gravel road about 8 miles to the trailhead. There are signs at the trailhead.
2 Haskell Peak Trail Sign.JPG
3 TH Sign.JPG
The hike is about a 1200 foot climb in a little under two miles. The trail is very well graded.
4 Haskell Peak Trail.JPG
It does not take long before you find yourself below the summit block.
5 Haskell Summit Block.JPG
The cairn on the summit is indeed about 10 feet tall
6 Tall Cairn.JPG
Sport dutifully placed her rock on the cairn.
7 Sport Cairn.JPG
8a.JPG
:nod: :D :nod:

This is a Haskell Peak tradition.

We were in a hurry to get back to the truck having conquered three peaks in one day. The smoke from the King fire had been slowing moving its way north all day. We stopped briefly on Gold Lake Highway to take one last shot of the Sierra Buttes. Then it was off to SLT, but not before stopping at Los Dos Hermanos in Sierraville for an excellent Mexican dinner. :)
8 Sierra Butte Sunset.JPG
Thanks for reading our post,

-Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Lake Basin Triple Crown – 3 Haskell Peak

Post by maverick »

Thanks Russ for all three enjoyable TR's and pictures! See any signs of some
good Fall colors yet? Might to be little to early for that area.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org