Castle Peak 9-6-14

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Castle Peak 9-6-14

Post by Vaca Russ »

To my surprise I found the trail to the base of Castle Peak from I-80 is actually a very manageable road. One can drive all the way to the east side of Castle Pass. We stopped at the end of the road and found several other cars had made the same drive.
0 Trailhead.JPG
We first climbed Basin Peak and then followed the ridgeline south to the turrets of Castle Peak.
1 Turrets Distance.JPG
To get to the summit one must hike around the SW side of these turrets.
2 Turrets.JPG
The summit is at the top of the far SE turret. Climb around to the east side of this turret to find the class 3 route to the top.
3 Up Class 3.JPG
This is a picture of my good side climbing. :D I added this shot to give you perspective on the height of the climb.
4 Climb Class 3.JPG
There are many great handholds and footholds. If you look carefully you can see “Sport” at the bottom of the climb in the middle of this picture.
5 Sport Below.JPG
The benchmark is at the summit.
6 Benchmark.JPG
There is a little tiny register. This register could use some improvement. It needs at least a ball point pen.
7 Register.JPG
This is a picture of her on the summit.
8 Sport Summit Far.jpg
Yes, it really is “Sport”!
9 Summit Close.JPG
I must admit I got the idea for that picture from Bob Burd. He posted a similar picture and when I saw it I knew I had to capture her in that pose!

Thanks for reading our report!

-Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Re: Castle Peak 9-6-14

Post by giantbrookie »

That's a fun one. Thanks for your post which really makes we want to get up there. I think it is finest of the I80 area peaks. I actually messed this one up and missed the summit in the mid 70's when I took the wrong chute and crack system and ended up on the west side of the summit,where I ended up being short of the summit by one short class 4 mantle move over stunning exposure down the N side. I chickened out and didn't do it, so I need to go back and get this one and do a better job of route finding.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;