Mount Sill

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
brvoyles
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Mount Sill

Post by brvoyles »

Last week, after waiting out several days of rainy weather, my dad and I climbed Mount Sill via the North Couloir.

We camped at the Sage campground the night before, so we were on the trail @ 4:45 AM and at Second Lake a couple hours later.

We passed a couple of backpackers stirring in camp, but hadn't seen anyone on the trail when we made the turn off to head for Sam Mack Meadow.

We rested at Sam Mack for a few minutes before heading off for the final stretch to the glacier where we intended to camp.

The trail to the glacier is slow going, but the views get better and better as you climb.

And at last, we arrived at the glacier and were able to drop the heavy packs.

The glacier is in pretty sad shape and you can actually hear the roar of the water running on top of it.

We setup "camp" and then spent about an hour and a half in our bivy sacks while it rained/hailed/snowed.

The next morning we woke @ 5 AM and headed for the North Couloir.

Crossing the talus was uneventful. The edge of the glacier was a mess of ice and frozen mud/gravel. This section slowed us considerably, but it went without issue thanks to crampons.

The chute to Glacier Notch was dry and we quickly made our way up the class 2/3 chute.

Once at Glacier Notch we were surprised to find the North Couloir was dry. We slogged up the couloir which was nothing more than class 2, albeit a bit loose.

Due to fatigue and the terrain, I did not take any pictures between the top of the couloir and the summit. The class 3/4 section was covered in snow. We roped up for 2 pitches and made it through without incident.

The scramble from the top of the class 4 to the summit was longer than we were expecting, but easy. We were stoked when we finally strolled onto the summit!

The descent was slow, but uneventful.

Thanks for reading!

Brian
austex
Topix Expert

Re: Mount Sill

Post by austex »

Awesome Brian. Nice pictures and a great time with your dad...Cherish those times.
J ney
Topix Acquainted

Mount Sill

Post by J ney »

Thanks Brian!! Great shots!
Sill has been on my list for a couple of years but the cards just haven't fallen in place for me yet.

Was there plenty of gear up there to rap off of or did you have to leave some gear behind?
Bluewater
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Mount Sill

Post by Bluewater »

Thanks for posting your photos and tr. I appreciate the detailed shots of the glacier, and of course the view from the top!
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Neat report. Pretty weird to see photos of the north couloir as a class 2 chute.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
brvoyles
Topix Acquainted

Post by brvoyles »

J ney wrote:Was there plenty of gear up there to rap off of or did you have to leave some gear behind?
There were 2 established anchors that were in good shape. We setup 1 additional anchor on the class 3/4 section due to the snow. Once the snow melts out, this anchor is unnecessary.

Brian
toejam
Topix Acquainted

Post by toejam »

Great report. I hope to do that some time.
J ney
Topix Acquainted

Post by J ney »

brvoyles wrote:There were 2 established anchors that were in good shape. We setup 1 additional anchor on the class 3/4 section due to the snow. Once the snow melts out, this anchor is unnecessary.
Thanks Brian!