Lyon and Needle Peak from the west

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
Gazelle
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Lyon and Needle Peak from the west

Post by Gazelle »

9 miles 3223 elevation gain 5 hours
Hiked 2 OGUL peaks Sunday now have 24 went from the west unlike most. Rode quad down to the Cedars then up to Lyon ridge, started on a sort of use trail but pretty much followed the ridge mostly along the game refuge border.
1002.jpg
Made my way to Lyon peak,
1000.jpg
which when I got there is not Lyon, Lyon is the further east (the hump vs peaks in my opinion), just had to go up them all. From there dropped south around the peak/knob between Lyon and Needle peak, Think I may have been following Vaca russ and sports tracks. Got to west side of needle and climbed the chute with the stick at the bottom. Took picture of Needle Lake
1001.jpg
maybe my next destination as I wanted to go North and look for petroglyphs but it was cloudy and did not want to get rained on. Have already been to granite Chief so not on the agenda, so dropped off of Needle and found an easy? way down towards Needle lake so I decided to go for it and hope for no rain. Glad I did Needle lake is very nice with a great view of the peak and some interesting rock features I would not have seen.
1003.jpg
1004.jpg
1005.jpg
1006.jpg
So in to trying to find petroglyphs I went to many granite blocks way further than I really wanted, unfortunately did not find any, but absolutely beautiful down to the North would like to go back. Then had to work my way back up to the ridge west of Lyon, lots of bushes to avoid and ended up in an area almost cliffed out but finally found a route. Up on the ridge followed it down and back to my quad for the beautiful ride out.
1007.jpg
1008.jpg
Kristine
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Re: Lyon and Needle Peak from the west

Post by Vaca Russ »

Kristine,

Wow, you already have bagged 24 of the Ogul peaks!? That is quite an accomplishment! Thanks for the report.

I really like the last picture. I think I saw that rock.

I just sent you a message about what I know about the petroglyphs in that area.

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

Neat little hike. I haven't been to Needle, but I went up Lyon from the W several years ago getting a grad student started on his research. It is a great viewpoint to view some of the clues to the long-term (millions of years) landscape evolution of the northern Sierra, so I have a photo in a recent scientific (geologic) paper I published that was taken from near the summit of Lyon Peak and is somewhat similar to the last photo of this report.

Not to get off topic too much, but I have amusing memories of kickoff point off of the dirt road. When we were there a mess of folks were camped there because it was an aid station for some big ultra endurance run that was to head through there the next day. They were some fun folks. They had a portable generator going and were making margheritas in blenders. The brand new school 'burb we had taken there developed a flat (you could hear the air hissing out) just as we parked. The locking system for the spare was rather complicated and non-intuitive so my three students and I were spending a lot of time puzzling over how to get the darned spare freed up. This led to jokes from the crowd "How many geologists does it take to change a tire?" Certainly good times. It was in fact regrettable that we had to move to another student's field area and couldn't spend the evening with those people.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

They do have aid stations there for both the tevis cup horse endurance and the western States 100 mile run. The geology aspect was fantastic wish I knew more but the difference in rock in very short distances was amazing! Now I just need to find the petroglyphs around there!
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein