Found: Trekking Poles near Rubicon Peak

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
cefire
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Found: Trekking Poles near Rubicon Peak

Post by cefire »

I found a nice pair of trekking poles while hiking at Rubicon - left in the snow and were certainly there for a while. If you can tell me something unique about them (what kind? where?) I can get them back to you! :)

If this isn't the right spot for this message, feel free to move it!
Rockchucker
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Found: Trekking Poles near Rubicon Peak

Post by Rockchucker »

Awfully good of you to try and find the owner! :thumbsup:
I'm no suture for my future.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

cefire wrote:...while hiking at Rubicon
Cefire,

Did you bag Rubicon Peak? If so, can you post a report or pictures? I'm mostly curious about the route on the actual summit block.

Thanks,

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
cefire
Topix Regular

Post by cefire »

Hey Russ,

I don't have time for a full report but I can write a really brief summary. We actually bagged all three of the summits along the ridge from Rubicon to Jake's Peak.

Snow on the trail started about 1/4 mile past the snotel station and was quite malleable & wet. The summit is mostly wind scoured so not as much snow there - the summit block is snow-free.

The wife and I actually took different routes up Rubicon. I was more or less just a bit to the right side of main gully described by Yamagata: http://www.petesthousandpeaks.com/Capti ... conpk.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd say this was solid class three (maybe four?), but I'm no expert! The wife walked around the summit block to the right for about 300 feet or so and found a much easier route on the southwest aspect. There are several more cozy gully routes here which are probably low class 3 at most. As you would expect, fantastic views on the summit but it was a windy day so we didn't stay up for too long!! Descent on the wife's route wasn't difficult at all.

The high point in-between Rubicon and Jake's is pretty straightforward but Jake's Peak got the better of us. We scouted several routes but never found a very comfortable one. In the end, I ended up climbing the most obvious north face but never did figure out how to get fully on top. On the backside (WSW), there is another tighter looking chute that one might try. Still looks tricky but at least it isn't exposed.

A hand on top and a view from near the top was close enough for me though :smirk: