Conditions report - Kuna Peak 5/15/14

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
Teresa Gergen
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Conditions report - Kuna Peak 5/15/14

Post by Teresa Gergen »

Initial creek crossings in Dana Meadows were manageable. Much heavier flow coming out late at night and had to wade through then.

Patches of posthole-y snow on the trail to about 10K. I took the branch toward Spillway Lake on the way to Parker Pass, hoping to find continuous low angle snow, which I mostly did. Great with boots in the morning; not so much late in the day.

Snow is patchy near Parker Pass. Minimal, avoidable snow on the switchbacks to Koip pass until the final traverse across the north face of Parker Peak, which required traction. East slopes of Koip are snowy. Put on crampons instead of microspikes for final climb up Kuna, but it looked harder than it was. Only problem was coming out late - snow was horrible. It was an unseasonably warm day. Snowshoes didn't help low in the valleys on the way out.
Last edited by Teresa Gergen on Sun May 18, 2014 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
austex
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Conditions report - Kuna Peak 5/15/14

Post by austex »

Teresa- Thx for the condition reports. Sure beats a front country rangers rendition. *right Vaca Russ*
Teresa Gergen
Topix Regular

Post by Teresa Gergen »

In the Parker Pass Creek drainage:
IMG_4297.JPG
Looking down at Parker Pass from the traverse across the north face of Parker Peak:
IMG_4304.JPG
Kuna Peak:
IMG_4312.JPG
Looking south from Kuna Peak:
IMG_4315.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tomba
Topix Regular

Post by tomba »

That's a lot of snow. Thanks.
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks Teresa for the intell, really like the last shot!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org