Red Lake Peak Redux 10,063 Feet

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Red Lake Peak Redux 10,063 Feet

Post by Vaca Russ »

“Sport” and I decided to place a register on Red lake Peak. We took State Route 88 up to Carson Pass. There was plenty of parking at the Meiss Trailhead parking lot. A sno-park pass can be purchased on line here:

https://secure.kinsail.com/results.asp?p=casno&pt=parks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We started on the PCT but quickly veered off trail, up the slope, north toward the peak. The snow was very patchy. Shortly after we reached about 9000 feet we could see the false summit.
1 Distant False Summit.JPG
These pictures should give you a good idea of the current snow conditions.

Sometimes I use this site to gauge how deep the snow might be:

http://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/interactive/ ... &js=1&uc=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This site turned out to be completely inaccurate. I have found that it is usually reliable but as the elevation goes up the information becomes less accurate.

Here you can see Round Top over Sport’s left shoulder and Elephants Back over her right. State Route 88 is below and to the left.
2 Sport El. Bk. and Rnd Top.JPG
Caples Lake is starting to melt at the inlet. You can also see one of my favorite ski resorts behind Caples.
3 Caples and Kirkwood.JPG
The only significant snow we had to cross was on the ridge at about 9600 feet. This crossing was less than 200 yards.
4 Snow Crossing.JPG
The weather was beautiful but the wind was atrocious. The wind was sustained at 30 MPH with gust up to 50 – 60 MPH.

I would like to share the easiest way to summit this rock. The summit consists of three crags lined up in a roughly south to north direction. The first crag you see coming from the south is a false summit. The true summit is the one furthest north. Walk along the east side of the crags in a northerly direction until you see this chute.
5 Sport Crampons.JPG
6 Sport Ice Ax.JPG
Then climb up to that rock just over Sport’s head.
7 Sport by Crux.JPG
From there, climb over to the west side of the crag. You must down climb to a three to four foot ledge on the other side. Getting over to the other side requires some class three moves with exposure. Once on the ledge, walk back south to the end of the ledge and then from there climb up, using more class 3 moves, directly to the actual true summit.

Sport placed a new register at the summit.
8 Sport Register.JPG
I climbed over to the southern false summit to take pictures documenting my Love’s achievement.
9 Sport Summit.JPG
Yes, that is really her!
10 Summit Close.JPG
Thanks for reading our post,

-Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
Jason
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Red Lake Peak Redux 10,063 Feet

Post by Jason »

Very cool! I was up there by myself probably 5-6 years ago but didn't get to the very top, maybe I'll try it again using your info. Thanks for the report!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks VR for the TR, and great views! :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Wow! Round Top and Elephant look kind of snowed in still.

I loved the report. Thanks, Russ and Sport!

-another russ