Desolation triple crown

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
Gazelle
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Desolation triple crown

Post by Gazelle »

Yesterday I did the Desolation triple crown Pyramid, Agassiz and Price in one day solo (as a woman not that it matters)14.5 miles. Started from Lyons creek trailhead at 7 am clear and cold, continued up till I thought it was a good place to jump off to contour around peak 8662 as to avoid going up the Lake Sylvia talus, notch. Was not to be, ended up at Lake Sylvia so up the talus I went not bad at all. Then took the west side up Pyramid stopping to look at the bowl as to where I might cross from east to west. Made pyramid at 10:45 and left at 11 after pictures and a hunt of how to cross from the east side to the west on the ridge as some talk of exposed class 3-4 which I did not want to do alone but also did not want to go back the way I came and go under the cliffs into the bowl. So down the NE side of pyramid, decided to give a look at a potential chute looked good to me compared to the alternatives I was not sure about, not to difficult but very slippery. Down to the granite slabs via talus and boulders. Choose the slabs over a talus, boulder ridge, I think it worked out well. Over to Agassiz. Up the chute then up to the summit block little nervous as I was alone. Agassiz top at 12:40. Left top of Agassiz at 1pm and contoured over to price missed the summit the first try but got a great view on to the summit of Price by 1:30. Took pictures and looked at the potential route of my next trip in this area Pyramid, Agassiz, Price, Jacks, Dicks, and Tallac in a day coming in at Rocky creek trailhead and exiting mt tallac trail about 16-17 miles (or there abouts). Anyway left Price at 1:45 and contoured down and around through more talus, boulders and slabs to Lyons lake (beautiful) to trail, back to truck at 4:15. Awesome day Clock on pictures a hour off.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
JMat
Topix Regular

Re: Desolation triple crown

Post by JMat »

Great report... Thanks for bringing us along. That hike has been on my bucket list for a long time but have never gotten around to it.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

Yuberiver wrote:Yesterday I did the Desolation triple crown Pyramid, Agassiz and Price in one day solo (as a woman not that it matters)14.5 miles.
I was impressed the first time I read this report. It wasn't until yesterday that Sport pointed out to me you are a woman (not that it matters). I must have missed that the first time I read the report and just assumed you were a man.

Looking at your times...did you run up the Lyons creek trail? Sport and I did this hike clockwise from Lyons lake to Lyons lake earlier this summer. We dropped down into the bowl between Aggasiz and Pyramid. That was a very challenging day hike!

Your planned hike up Rock Canyon to Pyramid, Aggasiz, Price, Jacks, Dicks and Tallac is very ambitious! Good Luck! We hope to knock out Jacks and Dicks sometime this fall, but it might have to be with snowshoes! :)

Thanks for the report.

-Russ
Last edited by Vaca Russ on Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

Looks like snowshoes unless it gets warm for awhile got 1 foot plus at donner summit by kingvale. Snowshoes sometimes makes these things easier (no talus/scree)!
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
Phil B.
Your Run-of-the-mill Internet Troll
Experience: N/A

Post by Phil B. »

Great pictures and report. Thanks
Formerly "FISHPOLE"
FeetFirst
Topix Regular

Post by FeetFirst »

Thanks for sharing. Great time to be out in Deso.

I've done Pyramid and Price on separate trips and would love to string it all together.
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.