Mt. Sill - Scimitar or Potluck?

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
SammySam
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Mt. Sill - Scimitar or Potluck?

Post by SammySam »

I'm considering grabbing a Sept or Oct permit and give Mt. Sill an attempt via the south side. I've read a lot about the approach options from South Lake/Potluck Pass and Big Pine South Fork/Scimitar Pass. Both sound like slogs. One is longer but has less elevation, the other vice versa.

My question is: which one of these is the more enjoyable trip? I know, highly subjective question so answer however you want. I'm familiar with the South lake approach up to Thunderbolt Pass and the Big Pine approach up to Willow Lake, if that helps.
robertseeburger
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Mt. Sill - Scimitar or Potluck?

Post by robertseeburger »

I attempted Mount Sill from the vicinity of Elinore Lake in 2015 with the intent of going over Scimitar Pass.
I failed. I was ascending toward the pass and I turned around. I just looked at the clock and determined that my progress was too slow, and I would have to do it another time. It was a slog.
I succeeded from the west side, (it was from lower Palisade lake) in 2016.
I am older though and perhaps your progress going over Scimitar will be faster, but it is tedious.
On a positive side of going over Scimitar Pass, you get some great views toward Norman Clyde Peak and glacier that not many people get to see.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Re: Mt. Sill - Scimitar or Potluck?

Post by giantbrookie »

I'm fairly sure the majority of folks who want to summit Sill by a non-technical route will go via South Lake to Dusy Basin, then Thunderbolt etc. I did Sill from Dusy and it is fairly easy, not tedious, but a long hike. There is a smidge of boulder hopping going up Thunderbolt and you may encounter a little on the long traverse below North Palisade toward Potluck but for the most part it's fairly easy talus and slabs. It does in fact take most folks a long time, so many hikers coming from Dusy Basin end up getting back to camp after dark. The summit hike can be made shorter by camping at the Barrett Lakes, but then the hike in to the base camp is longer. It goes without saying that the later you go in the year the shorter the daylight hours, so this should be taken into account---a super early start from camp is advised.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;