Pyramid in Desolation

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
shuteye
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Pyramid in Desolation

Post by shuteye »

I scouted for a good place to cross Rocky Creek but could find none. Neither had the one other guy I met on Wednesday the 12th. I crossed it, though. The afternoon especially hairy with raging water at my waist. Solid snow on the west side of Rocky Creek beginning at 7500'.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Pyramid in Desolation

Post by c9h13no3 »

Did you have to cross the creek? I know the use trail probably does, but I don't see why you couldn't just go cross country east of the creek all the way to the top.

Nice pics :)
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
davidsheridan
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by davidsheridan »

Nice Pics
shuteye
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by shuteye »

This was my first time to Pyramid, and though I don't have personal knowledge, it makes sense that staying on the east side of the river would avoid the issue of crossing altogether. Later in the year, the crossing is, of course, a nothing, plus there's a trail that will eventually appear from under the snow on the west side. Further up near toward Pyramid, the return crossing was buried deep under snow, so that wasn't an issue.

Anyway, the only guy I saw all day told me that he had done just what you suggest: He avoided the crossing altogether by staying on the east side. He said he was on his way to Pyramid, and I had already summited and was heading back. But it was weird because our meeting was up the slope on the west side. Why was he there? And then he asked me about the crossing, as if he was thinking of trying it on the way back. Maybe there's some hazard on the east side that he ran into? I don't know.