Thunder to Table Mountain Traverse?

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
limpingcrab
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Thunder to Table Mountain Traverse?

Post by limpingcrab »

Info? Has anyone EVER done it? Everything I can find describes descending quite a bit and ascending either the west side of Table Mountain or the couloir on the northeast side.
DSC01410.jpg
Pic of the ridge by Bub Burd.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WarrenFork
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Thunder to Table Mountain Traverse?

Post by WarrenFork »

I think I remember John Fischer asking the same question one time at Gordon Wiltsie's house in Bishop in the 1980s, with reference to Norman Clyde. Nobody knew.

The most likely person that I can think of who might know is Claude Fiddler AKA Norman Claude. I'm not sure it's okay to include an email address in a post on this board but if you don't already know him through SuperTopo or in real life you can find his contact info on his website.

Congratulations btw on your Tehipite Dome attempt this summer and (especially) your classic account of it. Too few adventures like that seem to get undertaken and even fewer get conveyed to the audience that appreciates them most.
limpingcrab
Topix Regular

Post by limpingcrab »

Thank you for the kind words and suggestion! I just sent him an email, we'll see if he has any insight into that area. It would be fun to stay high on the ridges up there and not bring a rope!
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

re. climbing along the Thunder-Table Mountain Ridge, limpingcrab wrote:
It would be fun to stay high on the ridges up there and not bring a rope!
By the Burd photo you enclosed, it sure looks like a fascinating and fun route... but no rope? Can we bring one for the hell of it- just in case?
We wonder if you did this route? Sorry if it is in your trip reports, but we couldn't find it. If you did, can you describe it for us? This might be something of interest to those planning to show up for Mav's yearly meetup. Cheers, Ian.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.