Looking for advise Ladder Lake from Grouse Meadow

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
lygio
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Looking for advise Ladder Lake from Grouse Meadow

Post by lygio »

Hi,
Looking for advise/tip to get to Ladder Lake from Grouse Meadow on JMT/PCT. I am confident on trails but rarely do XC since I hike alone. Because of distance and time constrain I settle on reaching Ladder Lake from Road End in Kings Canyon before backtracking. From photos I have seen it looks suitable and secluded for camping and the views exceptional.

Thanks,
Lygio
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Looking for advise Ladder Lake from Grouse Meadow

Post by longri »

The easiest crossing of the Kings River is roughly half a mile upstream from the Citadel. Once across you ascend the steep slope to the right of Ladder Creek, diagonaling up and following game trails. It's not bad. Campsites were very scarce with all of the scrub when I was there about ten years ago. EDIT: We camped east of the lake, amidst copious scrub and boulders. There could be good camping at the lake itself but I don't remember.
Last edited by longri on Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

There is a discussion of getting to Ladder Lake that took off from my six year old North Lake/South Lake trail report.

http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... e&start=20

Perhaps some of that discussion will help.
lygio
Topix Newbie

Post by lygio »

Thank you Longri and KPeter, I will check it out. I am going there over Labor Day weekend from Road End for 6 nights, 7 days. My goal is to loop around The Hermit and Emerald, take the Goddard Canyon trail, and XC back to Wanda Lake following the North Goddard Creek and skirting Davis Lake on its north shore to then head back to Road End. If that proves to ambitious, and I think it is, I will get to Wanda Lake only and on my way back climb up to Ladder Lake and spend a night there, it looks a great spot from photos I have seen.