HST Community      Homers Nose (trip report)

Homers Nose (trip report) | High Sierra Topix  

Homers Nose (trip report)

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.

Homers Nose (trip report)

Postby Eric1234 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:03 pm

Homers Nose and a few other peaks via the east side of Salt Creek Ridge
http://peaksforfreaks.blogspot.com/2014 ... omers.html

Eric1234
Topix Acquainted

Experience: N/A

Re: Homers Nose (trip report)

Postby DaveB » Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:50 pm

Nice adventure! Thanks for sharing the trip report and photos. I respect your gnarliness. This brought back fond memories - I worked for NPS as the Hockett Meadow ranger for 2 years in the 1980's.
DaveB
Topix Novice

Postby giantbrookie » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:52 pm

Nice December adventure while most of us have settled down for our "off season".
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Postby iHartMK » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:38 pm

I want to do this trip so bad! I look up at Homers Nose daily.. Please let me know if you ever go again.
Living On Kaweah Time
iHartMK
Topix Acquainted

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby ofuros » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:50 am

Great pics & peaks..... :thumbsup:
Out 'n about....looking for trout.
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Topix Acquainted

Postby cb83 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:41 am

Appreciate the trip report.

Going to take a gamble and bet that with the dry winter that there is limited snow on the East Salt Creek ridge and try this same route this weekend. I hope to make it to Cahoon Rock at a minimum. Has anyone been up to Hockett this winter? I scouted Homer's Nose from the grassy area on Ladybug Trail and could not tell what the snow conditions were like on the ridge. The south faces were completely void of snow; but if I use the Farewell Gap webcam as a gauge, I am not too optimistic as it looks like the forested slopes in MK have a good chunk of snow in the 8-9k range I would be traveling.

Ideally I would like to start from South Fork CG on Sat. at about 6am, drop my pack at the last stream below Cahoon Rock, and hope to make it to Homer's Nose by 3pm and then back to my pack and set up camp by 5:30. Not sure if this is doable, but I read another report of a team making it to Homer's Nose in 2 hours from Cahoon Rock. Any thoughts if a 4 hour roundtrip from Cahoon Rock-Homer's Brow-Homer's Nose-Cahoon Rock is too optimistic in good conditions? I've read mixed reports on the ease of travel on/around the ridge, and I've also read of a use trail in the area, but I think it heads off the ridge to Cahoon Meadow where NPS has been studying some meadow restoration.
cb83
Topix Newbie

Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Postby iHartMK » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:56 am

cb83 wrote:Appreciate the trip report.

Going to take a gamble and bet that with the dry winter that there is limited snow on the East Salt Creek ridge and try this same route this weekend. I hope to make it to Cahoon Rock at a minimum. Has anyone been up to Hockett this winter? I scouted Homer's Nose from the grassy area on Ladybug Trail and could not tell what the snow conditions were like on the ridge. The south faces were completely void of snow; but if I use the Farewell Gap webcam as a gauge, I am not too optimistic as it looks like the forested slopes in MK have a good chunk of snow in the 8-9k range I would be traveling.

Ideally I would like to start from South Fork CG on Sat. at about 6am, drop my pack at the last stream below Cahoon Rock, and hope to make it to Homer's Nose by 3pm and then back to my pack and set up camp by 5:30. Not sure if this is doable, but I read another report of a team making it to Homer's Nose in 2 hours from Cahoon Rock. Any thoughts if a 4 hour roundtrip from Cahoon Rock-Homer's Brow-Homer's Nose-Cahoon Rock is too optimistic in good conditions? I've read mixed reports on the ease of travel on/around the ridge, and I've also read of a use trail in the area, but I think it heads off the ridge to Cahoon Meadow where NPS has been studying some meadow restoration.

How did it go? I live in Visalia and would love to join you on this trip if you haven't already gone. You can email me at willchart@gmail.com
Living On Kaweah Time
iHartMK
Topix Acquainted

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Return to Peak Bagging / Rock Climbing / Bouldering