Suggestions for peak bagging overnighters? | High Sierra Topix  

Suggestions for peak bagging overnighters?

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.

Suggestions for peak bagging overnighters?

Postby gbrown09 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:23 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for suggestions for relatively short (preferably overnighters) backpacking trips with the following characteristics:
-Great views for sunrise/sunset (photography is the primary objective) from or near campsite
-Summit campsite or any high up campsite with an epic view
-Lake(s) down below preferable
-Driving from SoCal so the closer the better

Trips I've done in the past that I loved (looking for similar ones):
-Mt Agassiz - cowboy camped just below the summit
-Young Lakes (Yosemite) - awesome campsite above the upper lake

I'm a relatively experienced backpacker and I'm comfortable with cross country travel. Would prefer class 1-2, maybe easy class 3. Comfortable with 8-10 miles a day and a few thousand feet of elevation gain, but not opposed to easier stuff! Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

gbrown09
Topix Novice

Experience: N/A

Re: Suggestions for peak bagging overnighters?

Postby zacjust32 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:49 pm

In SEKI there's plenty of peaks in Mineral King the may fit your profile, and the area is very photogenic. Some of my favorite hikes near Lodgepole are Alta Peak/Pear Lake/Tablelands and Mt. Silliman, both of which I have done as overnighters. They both offer views of the GWD. You can find my trip reports below.
Hiker, adventurer, fabricator, tinkerer, theologian, and occasional student. http://www.zacjust.blogspot.com
zacjust32
Topix Regular

Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Postby maverick » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:03 pm

If you don't have Secor's book, then get it and familiarize yourself with the peaks of southern SEKI, categorize them according to your abilities, then use Google Earth to get views from the summits and the ridgelines. Also, check out TR's to the summits, which many have pictures included, here on HST, Summitpost, Supertopo, and Mountain Project, the more intel you have the better your chances of success.
The Western Divide from Mineral King up to Kaweah Ridge and Miter Basin, have plenty of subject matter to keep you busy. ;)
HST= Wilderness Adventurer who knows no bounds, except for their own imagination, and where the trail ends is where our adventures begin.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby gbrown09 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:05 am

Thanks Zac & Maverick for the suggestions! I checked out those peaks online, I'm just having a hard time figuring out if there are any bivvy spots on or near those summits since I don't want to climb in the dark. Also came across Sawtooth Peak in the same area which looks awesome as well. And I'll definitely get my hands on that book.

Anyone have any other ideas? Any easy peaks in the Eastern Sierra (preferably no farther north than Bishop/Mammoth) with bivvy sites on the summit?
gbrown09
Topix Novice

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:42 am

When you get a wilderness permit for the Alta trail, they will tell you it's illegal to camp on Alta Peak. It's also the case for other high places that are very popular such as Half Dome. If legalities are a concern that's one of the questions you should ask, particularly in places that are patrolled by rangers, like the Alta/Lakes Trail region -- there's a ranger living at Pear Lake, after all.
AlmostThere
Topix Fanatic

Postby gbrown09 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:40 am

AlmostThere wrote:When you get a wilderness permit for the Alta trail, they will tell you it's illegal to camp on Alta Peak. It's also the case for other high places that are very popular such as Half Dome. If legalities are a concern that's one of the questions you should ask, particularly in places that are patrolled by rangers, like the Alta/Lakes Trail region -- there's a ranger living at Pear Lake, after all.

Good point, definitely not trying to break any rules.
gbrown09
Topix Novice

Postby peaksandpotatoes » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:28 pm

I've heard of people sleeping on top of Four Gables and Cloud's Rest. There's a little lake right below Silliman that you should be able to find a place to sleep at. You could probably find a place to sleep in the cirque below Goode. There is a large sandy plateau right below Langley. Leavitt Peak had a flattish spot below the summit with awesome views. Actually I think the summit of Leavitt is also flat. I'm pretty sure there's a bivy spot at Italy Pass below Julius Caesar (right?). But I guess I wouldn't consider that a shortish trip.
peaksandpotatoes
Topix Acquainted

Postby gbrown09 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:33 am

peaksandpotatoes wrote:I've heard of people sleeping on top of Four Gables and Cloud's Rest. There's a little lake right below Silliman that you should be able to find a place to sleep at. You could probably find a place to sleep in the cirque below Goode. There is a large sandy plateau right below Langley. Leavitt Peak had a flattish spot below the summit with awesome views. Actually I think the summit of Leavitt is also flat. I'm pretty sure there's a bivy spot at Italy Pass below Julius Caesar (right?). But I guess I wouldn't consider that a shortish trip.

Great info, thanks!!!
gbrown09
Topix Novice

Postby giantbrookie » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:39 pm

I would second the advice about studying Secor and maps. I was doing this long before the 1st edition of Secor, so I grew up with Voge's climber's guide, but the game plan still remains: study the books and maps. The majority of the peaks I climbed back in the day were on overnighters or dayhikes, so many are suitable.

Here are some suggestions. All of the below have flattish areas on or not far below the summit.
A. East side (Mammoth and S).
1. Mt Morgan (the higher one) out of Little Lakes Valley; class 1 to 2 and amazing views
2. Mt Lamarck above Lamarck Col out of North Lake; class 1 to 2
3. Mt Goode out of South lake. Class 1 to 2. Not as nice a peak as Agassiz, and not as good views either (Agassiz has some of the best views in the entire Sierra, in my opinion), but still not bad.
4. Cloudripper out of S. Lake/Parchers Camp. Nice peak and nice view. There is a smidge of class 3 just below the summit, otherwise it's class 1.
5. Mt Gould above Kearsarge Pass. The summit tower is class 3, but it's an easy class 1 walk up to that point.
6. Lone Pine Peak from the Meysan Lake side.
7. Mt Langley and Cirque Peak out of Cottonwood. Both are easy class 1 to 2 and have big flat summit areas.

B. West flank southern part.
1. Spanish Mtn. Class 1, perched on the north rim of the deepest part of Kings Canyon with lots of flat sandy areas on the top.
2. I'm in total agreement with the recommendations of Sawtooth Peak in Mineral King.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Return to Peak Bagging / Rock Climbing / Bouldering