Looking for a quotation...

Discuss your favorite wilderness related books. Share your favorite poetry, quotes and folktales. Here's your chance to showcase your creative side!
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Looking for a quotation...

Post by BSquared »

Hi,

This is kind of a lazy post, because the answer is here on HST somewhere but I've been searching for half an hour or so and can't find it.

Someone who posts here frequently has a quotation as part of their signature that goes something like "I set out to fish every lake in the Sierra and found to my delight that it will take more than a lifetime." It's put more poetically than that, but that's the gist of it. Can someone point me at the full quotation and the source?
—B²
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Looking for a quotation...

Post by gary c. »

It is Windknot who had it for a signature but it looks like he removed. I'll let him give the quote again, I'd probably just screw it up.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Re: Looking for a quotation...

Post by giantbrookie »

The quote is from the great Charlie McDermand, the legendary High Sierra fisherman who wrote two timeless classics on High Sierra fishing in the late 40's "Yosemite and Kings Canyon Trout" and "Waters of the Golden Trout Country" (long out-of-print).

I believe the quote is the one that concludes the narrative section (ie end of Chapter 16) of "Waters of Golden Trout Country" (there is a list of lakes and fish that follows):
"Years ago I started out to fish every lake and stream where goldens dwell. I realize, with happy anticipation, that it will take all the summers I'll ever have."

This reminds me of another McDermand quote from an obscure chapter he wrote in 1960 in a book called High Sierra Mountain Wonderland. McDermand contributed a fishing chapter in this book. In one of the opening paragraphs of this chapter he says :".....Yet there are many isolated lake basins that I have never seen. And I'll never see them all--there are too many." I remember my wife reading that and saying "Well, that's kinda sad....but maybe WE should give it a try."
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;