Some audio books we enjoyed.

Discuss your favorite wilderness related books. Share your favorite poetry, quotes and folktales. Here's your chance to showcase your creative side!
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Some audio books we enjoyed.

Post by dave54 »

Both are diaries of a woman in the mountains in the 19th century. One in the Rockies and the other in the mining camps of Plumas County.

We listened in our car while traveling. MP3 files. Free downloads.

http://librivox.org/the-shirley-letters ... ia-clappe/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://librivox.org/a-ladys-life-in-the ... la-l-bird/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Some audio books we enjoyed.

Post by mokelumnekid »

Great suggestions, keep 'em coming. (But a minor complaint- some of the audio books from this site are read by people whom might kindly be called 'amateurs' as some of the over-dramatic readings are pretty bad. But the price is right.)
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

Yes. You will not get professional readers for free. That is why other audio books cost so much. You are not only compensating the author, but the reader, sound engineer, etc .

Some of the pronunciations were humorous. A new Zealand reader of John Muir's Mountains of California spoke of the "Joe-a-kwin" River. :lol: "Carquinez Straits" was so butchered it took me a few moments to figure it out.

But as you noted, the price is right.

I find myself listening to books I would never sit down to read.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Thanks for the info. I too enjoy audio books, albeit so far only the costly variety so I'll check these out.

I also like the many free podcasts, for example "The Dirtbag Diaries" is really good.

Cheers.