Mutant Message Down Under by Marlo Morgan RE: Smells & Poo

Discuss your favorite wilderness related books. Share your favorite poetry, quotes and folktales. Here's your chance to showcase your creative side!
Hetchy
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Mutant Message Down Under by Marlo Morgan RE: Smells & Poo

Post by Hetchy »

Marlo Morgan, a doctor that went, quite unexpectedly, on a four month "Walkabout" with an Old.. OLD Aborigine Tribe known as: The Real People. The entire book is very matter of fact description of her experience. This is a funny quote. Particularly because; for us "mutants", it is a funny subject. The Sierra connection is.. well.. about as basic as it gets. (You all know of that which I speak.. you can smell the dayhikers before you see them after a long hike.. imagine what they smell?!) :)

Upon seeing a large pack of vicious dingos (Wild Dogs) following her on the trail:

"I went running back to camp, truly frightened for the first time, and reported my findings to Ooota. He in-turn told the Elder. All the people standing nearby turned and joined our circle of concern. I waited for words, because I had learned by then that words from the Real People Tribe do not automatically pour forth; they always think before they speak. I could have counted slowly to ten before Ooota relayed the message.
The problem was one of odor.
I had become offensive.
It was true. I could smell myself and see the expression from the others. Unfortunately, I had no solution. Water was so scarce we would not waste it on bathing, nor was there a tub available. My black companions did not have the foul smell I had. I suffered with the problem, and they suffered because of me. I think part of the problem was my constantly scorched and peeling flesh and the energy being used by the burning of stored toxic fat. I was obviously losing weight daily. Of course, having no deodorant or toilet paper didn't help, and there was something else I observed. I noticed that soon after we ate they went into the desert and emptied their bowels and it truly did not have the strong smell that is associated with waste matter in our lifestyle. I was sure that after fifty years of my civilized diet it would take some time to detoxify my body, but I felt if I stayed in the Outback it was possible.
I shall never forget how the Elder explained the situation to me, and the final solution.
They were not concerend for themselves; they had accepted me for better or worse. Their concern was not for our safety; it was for the poor animals. I was confusing them. Ooota said the dingos believed the tribe was dragging some rotten piece of meat, and it was driving them crazy. I had to laugh because that really was the smell, like and old hunk of hamburger you left sitting in the sun.
I said I would appreciate any help they could offer. So the following day at the peak of the heat, we jointly dug a forty-five degree angle trench, and I lay down in it. Then they covered me up completely with soil; only my face was exposed. Shade was provided, and I was left there for about two hours. Being buried, completely helpless, unable to move a muscle, is quite a feeling. It was another new experience for me. If they had walked away I would have become a skeleton in that very spot. At first I was concerend that some curious lizard, snake, or desert rat would run up my face. For the first time in my life I truly related to a victim of paralysis, thinking about moving an arm or leg, telling and arm or leg to move, and it did not respond. But once I relaxed and closed my eyes, concentrating on releasing toxins from my body and absorbing the wonderful, cool, refreshing, cleansing elements from the ground, the time went faster.
Now I appreciate the old saying, "Necessity is the mother of invention."
It worked! We left the odor behind us in the ground."

You can make more money, but you can't make more time.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Mutant Message Down Under by Marlo Morgan RE: Smells & Poo

Post by Snow Nymph »

I have that book, but never read it. Now that I have some time, I should read it. Buried in storage, but I'll find it soon! :p
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;