The Last Season | High Sierra Topix  

The Last Season

Discuss your favorite wilderness related books. Share your favorite poetry, quotes and folktales. Here's your chance to showcase your creative side!

Re: The Last Season

Postby Shawn » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:14 pm

I found this to be a nice compliment to the book; certainly worth the 2 bucks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdDelDSi7cs

Shawn
Topix Expert

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby BSquared » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:23 am

Thanks, Shawn. I'll check it out.
—B²
BSquared
Founding Member

Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Postby zacjust32 » Tue May 30, 2017 10:09 pm

Just finished reading it. Great story that keeps you engaged to the end. Highly recommend to anyone here who hasn't read it yet.
Hiker, adventurer, fabricator, tinkerer, theologian, and occasional student. http://www.zacjust.blogspot.com
zacjust32
Topix Regular

Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Postby Cross Country » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:52 pm

"No, you (one) never gets over the addiction of going to the mountain." I don't agree. This statement doesn't apply to everyone (one). I went BP more than 500 days during 25 years and another 16 days in the next 11 years. I LOVED going backpacking in the Sierra but was nothing like addicted and as time passes have less inclination. For me it's just that I became less able and it was more diffucult than I chose to deal with.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Postby ERIC » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:11 pm

You must register an account and login to view files/photos attached to this post.

Yeah, well.. Just because you aren't able anymore, doesn't necessarily mean you aren't still addicted. You're here, aren't you? My read of you is that you long for/miss the times when you could. Otherwise, why are you here? Please correct me if I'm wrong. Personally speaking, I know I'm going to continue to live vicariously once my body says
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Postby Cross Country » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:40 pm

Good point. I agree that I miss it a lot.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Postby rlown » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:44 pm

Eric,

I love that movie..

rlown
Topix Docent

Postby ERIC » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:52 pm

rlown wrote:Eric,

I love that movie..

Ha! Caught. Yeah, I have kids... Don't ask me about any adult movies that have come out in the past ~decade. :(
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
ERIC

Postby ERIC » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:57 pm

Cross Country wrote:Good point. I agree that I miss it a lot.

As you should. You've spent a lot of time in the hidden corners of the Sierra, were good at it, and bonus...you got to spend a lot of that time with your brood. Hard not to miss that. You inspire me to get my kids out there. Regret's a ****. You're lucky.
ERIC

Postby Hobbes » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:13 am

Aside from TLS, Blehm is an accomplished (adventure) writer. He's able to spin a good yarn, whether it's the Sierra or the WoT. Actually, we're quite the minority; his biggest readership is military.

Interestingly, the same aspect of nostalgia is present in that market as well. I know it firsthand: One uncle was a career AF pilot/commander who was crushed when he was grounded. A great-uncle volunteered for WWI at age 16 (he was Canadian), he regretted being caught and sent home - talked about it as his greatest disappointment.

If a career/activity had a high adrenaline rush, required skill & discipline, and you happened to be good at it, then you can see the attraction of remembrance as you gradually 'age out'.
Hobbes
Topix Expert

Experience: N/A

Postby Tom_H » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:16 pm

Beyond its literal definition (aka denotation), the word addicted has a lot of negative connotation (figurative meaning). People become addicted to crack cocaine, which is not good for them. From a literal POV, you could say that we all are addicted to oxygen, food, and water, but that's not a bad thing. If someone wants to say (s)he has become addicted to the mountains, that's all well and good, but we shouldn't assume that other people experience everything in exactly the same way we do.

Personally, the mountain experience was an integral part of my life; I craved it; I savored it. I still have amazing adventures in my dreams, but I do not spend my waking hours grieving that I can't backpack any more. There is still so much to look forward to, particularly grandchildren. With the Sportsmobile, I will be able to explore hundreds of miles of quiet trails in Canyonlands NP, and many more in Death Valley during winter and spring. My legs can still walk through the surf; I can still hold my beloved wife in my arms.

The ability to carry a heavy pack is not the only thing you lose as you age. Other.....um......how to say this.........bodily functions......slow down and eventually try to stop as well. My wife is a breast cancer survivor. Estrogen stimulates tumors, so she is on a med that shuts down estrogen production almost completely. This changes a woman's physiology as well as mindset. My own plumbing is not what it once was and those little pills cause me to have an anaphylactic reaction. We still love each other like newlyweds, however, and that is something to cherish. Our relationship has taken a lifetime of very hard work, but the dividends of that are now paying off in spades. She is my soul mate and her presence makes my life overflow.

So yea, the mountains once gave me immense joy, but they don't have to be the only aphrodisiac of life happiness. I have more, a lot more joi de vie to experience, in so many venues, before I plan to depart this place. And I plan to lay claim to every bit of it! \:D/
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Postby Jimr » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:27 pm

I think the term "addiction" tends to be used for its oxymoronic affect. A negative connotation applied to a positive outlet. We are dependent on food, water and air, but that in and of itself is not an addiction, its a biology. We have a passion for being in the mountains, but it's not an addiction. The psychological property of addiction to a substance or behavior is usually (always) an anesthetic for emotional pain.
Nothing good ever came from should.
Jimr
Topix Fanatic

PreviousNext

Return to Literature, Poetry & Quotes