The Last Season

Discuss your favorite wilderness related books. Share your favorite poetry, quotes and folktales. Here's your chance to showcase your creative side!
AldeFarte
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

The Last Season

Post by AldeFarte »

I finished reading the book. What a traumatic event for the park staff involved. From the facts layed out in the book, I tend to agree with Alden Nash. [what a great name]. You can't live in two places at once. Living in the moment served Randy well for many years, but carrying too much baggage at the wrong time ,in the wrong place seems to have caught up with him. Very well done and a good read. jls
gdurkee
Founding Member

The Last Season

Post by gdurkee »

Yep, that pretty well sums it up. Good observation.

And, kind of good news: Eric just won a National Outdoor Book Award for The Last Season. Moderately cool.

http://www.isu.edu/outdoor/books/

g.
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

Just thought of something new as to why Randy fell through the ice. Maybe it was psychotherapy. In the book, Blehm states that Randy's therapist told him and Judi that they were incompatible. Maybe the therapist was right, maybe not, but the bottom line was that the suggestion was anything but supportive of Randy's marriage to Judi. Also, the fact that the therapist suggested Randy read psychological books like Iron John, etc. may not have been what Randy really needed at his time of crisis. The question may not be why Randy was so indecisive with Judi before she had enough. Clearly, Randy was always indecisive with his marriage. The question may be why therapy was ineffective in helping Randy with his issues, why despite therapy, he still told Judi he was going back to his job in the Sierra which ended the marriage. Also, why didn't therapy help Randy deal with his emotions? One wonders if it had, Randy might not have fallen through the ice. Another interesting question the book raises.
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular

Post by tomcat_rc »

just finished reading last night - excellent reading. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I found myself constantly reviewing my maps and feeling drawn back into the mountains. to those of us who go we know it is it's own addiction. as I tell my therapist "I can quit any time I wish - I just choose not to wish"
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

No, you never kick the addiction of going to the mountains. Once you're addicted, you're hooked for life and there's no way to stop. When Randy first told Judi he wasn't going back to the Sierra, he must have meant it, but after going camping with her, he started thinking about how much he missed the Sierra and how he couldn't bear not to go back after having spent so much of his life there. So he changed his mind and it cost him his marriage. The most tragic part is that when he finally did get to go back, he wasn't happy. What had seemed worth losing his marriage over suddenly wasn't worth that much. That's the nature of being addicted to the mountains. All those lake basins, trees, waterfalls, flowers, etc. seem worth the world until you lose what's most important to you. The problem (and the nature of the Sierra addiction) is that when you have what's most important to you (spouse, family, etc.), it becomes unbearable at times when you can't have the mountains too. This conflict really hurts and is one of the quintessential elements that gives The Last Season such wide appeal.
AldeFarte
Topix Regular

Post by AldeFarte »

Wow, rightstar. What an awesome last post.You are spot on .And tho I for one am sure Randy did not want to die, I am sure he couldn't have picked a "better" place to release his soul.I can relate to your last post and I think Blehm did a great job, because I often reflect on his book. Much as I do on Krakauer's book of death on Everest. Though on reflection I have less regard for Krakauer after reading Anatoli Boukreev's account of the events. OOhh, sorry for getting off topic. A good vino and a spot of sherry will do that.Anyway, A post I can relate to. jls
Richard
Topix Newbie

Renaming Peak 13,920+ To Mt. Morgenson

Post by Richard »

Trying to get the word out about this, so there will be more discussion.

http://www.whitneyportalstore.com/cgi-b ... 005219;p=0

http://www.mt-whitney.info/viewtopic.php?t=1497

BTW, I thought the book was excellent.
caddis
Founding Member

Post by caddis »

Great read for anyone in general and a "must read" for high sierra backpackers. I thought Blehm did a good job researching all sides, all viewpoints, and all possibilities then bringing it all together and making it understandable. He really made you feel for all parties involved. And George, for all the times I've envied backcountry rangers now I'll temper that envy with the knowledge of how much sacrificed and hardship is involved. You may never be appreciated in an official NPS way...pay, prestige, respect (from the bureaucracy), awards... But you'll always be respected and appreciated by those closest to your realm. Thanks
Oubliet
Topix Acquainted

The Last Season

Post by Oubliet »

I have just finished reading it this morning.

What an excellent, poignant, story about one man's love of the high, wild places and the things he sacrifices to be there.

The author did a great job knitting all the interviews and timetables into a coherant mountain mystery that keeps the reader flipping pages to see "what happens next."

I hope some of the people with the power to improve the budget for the maintenance fo the wildernesses and parks read this book and are swayed to keep the knife from whittling away at the amount each year.

The people in the backcountry need to be given more recognition than they have received in the past.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: The Last Season

Post by freestone »

I wanted to dust this thread off a bit and echo the comments on what a good read this is, especially in light of the recent search efforts for Larry. This book inspired me to go over Taboose, then over to Bench Lake and visit Randy Morgensen's old haunts. At the time, I had no idea how relevant this trip would become in my life and how it would change my view of a soloist in the "gentle wilderness". In this book you will discover that the search is never over, nor is that burning addiction for the high places.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien