The Last Season

Discuss your favorite wilderness related books. Share your favorite poetry, quotes and folktales. Here's your chance to showcase your creative side!
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: The Last Season

Post by Shawn »

I found this to be a nice compliment to the book; certainly worth the 2 bucks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdDelDSi7cs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

Thanks, Shawn. I'll check it out.
—B²
zacjust32
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by zacjust32 »

Just finished reading it. Great story that keeps you engaged to the end. Highly recommend to anyone here who hasn't read it yet.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

"No, you (one) never gets over the addiction of going to the mountain." I don't agree. This statement doesn't apply to everyone (one). I went BP more than 500 days during 25 years and another 16 days in the next 11 years. I LOVED going backpacking in the Sierra but was nothing like addicted and as time passes have less inclination. For me it's just that I became less able and it was more diffucult than I chose to deal with.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

Yeah, well.. Just because you aren't able anymore, doesn't necessarily mean you aren't still addicted. You're here, aren't you? My read of you is that you long for/miss the times when you could. Otherwise, why are you here? Please correct me if I'm wrong. Personally speaking, I know I'm going to continue to live vicariously once my body says
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

Good point. I agree that I miss it a lot.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Eric,

I love that movie..

[youtube_vid]<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Whfg26yGPx4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube_vid]
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

rlown wrote:Eric,

I love that movie..
Ha! Caught. Yeah, I have kids... Don't ask me about any adult movies that have come out in the past ~decade. :(
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

Cross Country wrote:Good point. I agree that I miss it a lot.
As you should. You've spent a lot of time in the hidden corners of the Sierra, were good at it, and bonus...you got to spend a lot of that time with your brood. Hard not to miss that. You inspire me to get my kids out there. Regret's a ****. You're lucky.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by Hobbes »

Aside from TLS, Blehm is an accomplished (adventure) writer. He's able to spin a good yarn, whether it's the Sierra or the WoT. Actually, we're quite the minority; his biggest readership is military.

Interestingly, the same aspect of nostalgia is present in that market as well. I know it firsthand: One uncle was a career AF pilot/commander who was crushed when he was grounded. A great-uncle volunteered for WWI at age 16 (he was Canadian), he regretted being caught and sent home - talked about it as his greatest disappointment.

If a career/activity had a high adrenaline rush, required skill & discipline, and you happened to be good at it, then you can see the attraction of remembrance as you gradually 'age out'.