High Sierra Tunes

Discuss your favorite wilderness related books. Share your favorite poetry, quotes and folktales. Here's your chance to showcase your creative side!
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

High Sierra Tunes

Post by oldhikerQ »

Does anyone have a song that says "High Sierra" to them? Kind of like a California version of Rocky Mountain High?
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: High Sierra Tunes

Post by rlown »

A couple..

[youtube_vid]<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gKz5QLS2WfU" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube_vid]

[youtube_vid]<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1cOjhMZ7R-4" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube_vid]
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Coincidentally, I was departing the trailhead after looking around Red Lake for Larry Conn back in 2012 when I first heard this Boz Scaggs tune . Now of course whenever I hear it, it reminds me of that experience. Not sure why it didn't get much air time.

[youtube_vid]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/38nGNAQa7ks" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube_vid]
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular

Post by oldhikerQ »

Gentlemen,
Thank you both for the songs. Had no idea that Boz Scaggs recorded a Sierra tune.
Robert Frost
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

I searched the allmusic.com database for songs with 'sierra' in the title and got over 1000 hits.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular

Post by oldhikerQ »

Dave54,
Thank you for referring me to that resource. I had no idea that it existed. Looks like I've got a bit of work to go through 1000+ songs.
Robert Frost
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by MountainMinstrel »

I live in Sonora and am familiar with the Black Irish Band, in fact, I know Patrick Karnahan who wrote that song fairly well. He is also an artist in oils. Funny thing is that I have not had a chance in the 6 years I've been up here to hear them as I frequently am playing somewhere else in town when their playing. it's cool to know that he wrote song about the Sierra. That will go great behind whatever video I put together for my upcoming JMT hike.
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
Timberline
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Timberline »

Oldhiker, glad you asked. Believe it or not, Keith Carradine sings(!) "High Sierra Trail" on an LP he issued after his Robert Altman movie, I think it was "Nashville." Did a pretty decent job of it, too (might have been the good guitar accompaniment helped). Anyway, this is the Sierra tune that remains my favorite. BTW, Carradine also had a small part in another Altman movie, "McCable & Mrs. Miller," which puts a different slant on everything.
Let 'er Buck! Back in Oregon again!