TR: Mono Reccess, Gabbot Pass, Cox Col Loop

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
macpaulster
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

TR: Mono Reccess, Gabbot Pass, Cox Col Loop

Post by macpaulster »

Here is my trip report. Scroll down to Day 5 to read about our adventure on Cox Col.

http://macpaulster.blogspot.com/2013/09 ... -mono.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Mono Reccess, Gabbot Pass, Cox Col Loop

Post by maverick »

Hi Macpaulster,

Welcome to HST! Your beautiful TR was given it's own thread, so you would not be
piggybacking off the OP''s thread. Thanks for posting your TR and the wonderful pictures.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
manny
Topix Novice

Post by manny »

Thanks for the great report! We did the same loop in reverse on Aug 26 - 31. I've been a bit too busy catching up with work to post a TR, but trying to post one this evening.

I talked with some locals last in the last couple of years and found Secor's revised write-up on-line. So, we avoided Cox Col. Details in the TR coming up later.

Manny
oleander
Topix Expert

Post by oleander »

Terrific story. And you are a great photographer. And the photo of that cup is priceless.

Agreed that the main trail down Mono Creek just becomes a slog once you are below the Fourth Recess/Pioneer Basin areas. (And what a contrast to the extreme beauty of the top of the pass! - Golden Lake we enjoyed, too.) We are going to section-hike Roper through the Second Recess and Bear Lakes some year soon, but will access it by coming in over the McGee Pass Trail, which provides so much more consistent scenery than an Edison or Rock Creek start. (And adds a jaunt over the spectacular Silver Divide, to boot.)

How do you like blogspot.com for posting your photo essays? I'm in the process of trying to pick a blog site which I will use mostly for trip reports that include an intermix of text with photos. Is it easy to post photos inline? How easy to learn blogspot? I used to post my photo essays on Posterous.com, which was incredibly easy to use - but it was shut down when it was taken over by Twitter.

- Elizabeth
macpaulster
Topix Novice

Post by macpaulster »

Thanks everyone. maveric, I appreciate your correcting my posting method for the TR. As you can see, I am a newbie here on the forum, but not on the trails. Any tips on posting will be humbly accepted.

Elizabeth, I find blogspot a great place to write about outdoor adventures. I'd say it's easy to learn, and photos are certainly easy to upload. There will be a short learning curve you will need to get past, but once you do that, you'll find it quite simple. Sizing the photos right is somewhat crucial. It's not automatic, so you need to select the correct size to fit the blog. You won't know it's right until you preview the blog, so do that early. There is a button for that.

Feel free to contact me offline if I can help further.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Wow! Glad you were able to make it over Cox Col so you could bring back that great report with all those luscious photos.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

macpaulster,
Yep, I'm still living vicariously by reading last year's TRs, and I was wondering what all the fuss about Cox was about until I read your comments. Nice bit of history. I've looked over what I now know is the "real" Cox col, and yes, I would not set foot over that part of the ridge. It definitely is less of a sphincter special a bit further north. So, how many of your 9 lives did you burn up there?
cg