TR - Onion Valey to Rae and 60 Lakes

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
overheadx2
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

TR - Onion Valey to Rae and 60 Lakes

Post by overheadx2 »

We just had a great report including Gardiner, so I won't bore every one with the details. Here are the details that I learned and could be helpful. Lately, I have been getting to the trail head and just get going. The last two trips, I have gotten very sick with both significant head aches and vomiting. I always feel fine the second day, but the first day almost makes it not worth going. This time I did what I was supposed to do and it really worked out. We hiked a few miles to Flower lake and slept there to acclimate. I also drank 1+ liter of water every 2 hours of hiking. Boy did it work! I felt great going over both Kearsarge and Glen Pass on the same day, and slept like a baby.

Did a day hike to Dragon lake and to look for fish and get some solitude. There were lots of better grade fish, but not a lot better grade (maybe 10 to 11") with much needed solitude. Hiked the notch to Lower 60 Lakes with a lot of solitude but very small fish to 8". Fished Bullfrog for our biggest but not big fish of the trip (fat 8 to 12"s) on the way back to lower Kearsarge. Lower kearsarge was loaded with 8 to 10"ers. Met some ladies doing a study on the frogs at the middle and upper 60 Lakes where the gill nets seem to be doing their job.

My brother took some great reflective pictures. Lower 60 lake
Me fishing Dragon Lake
Dragon Lake
SweetSierra
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR - Onion Valey to Rae and 60 Lakes

Post by SweetSierra »

I've always thought Dragon Lake would provide solitude. Beautiful photos.