3 Day 2 Night Trip recommendantions for late September/Early

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Trailguru
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

3 Day 2 Night Trip recommendantions for late September/Early

Post by Trailguru »

Could someone recommend a 3 day 2 night trip. Hopefully in the eastside along the 395. Anywhere between Lone Pine and as far north as Bishop would be great. Also a loop or semi-loop would be ideal. Though if it's worth it I will take out and back trips. I know there is so much out there. Just need some suggestions!

What level of backpacking experience do you have?
Level 4- Comfortable with trail and/or x-country travel

What terrain are you comfortable/uncomfortable with?
- Class 1 terrain/trail hiking
- Class 2 terrain/pass/x-country
- River crossings

What is your main interest?
- Lakes
- Forests
- Big Mountain scenery
- Photography
- Climbing (OPTIONAL: Class 2-3 at the most so basically scrambling)

Was thinking of maybe trying to do the Rae lakes loop (though it would require some increase in daily mileages) or maybe do the hike from North Lake to Desolation and cross over puppet pass to French Canyon and back up to North Lake. Another option I was thinking was to go over Bishop
jessegooddog
Topix Regular

Re: 3 Day 2 Night Trip recommendantions for late September/Early

Post by jessegooddog »

The drive to the trailheads out of Bishop should be spectacular at this time if the aspens, rain, wind and snow are cooperating.
oleander
Topix Expert

Post by oleander »

You could make your North Lake trip a semi-loop by going over Puppet Pass and returning via Steelhead Pass.

We just went over Steelhead southbound about a week ago. It was fine, nothing more than Class 2, stable.

From Puppet Lake, go to Star Lake and then to the gentle saddle between Star and Rust Lakes. Go up Steelhead directly from that saddle.

Descending Steelhead, we followed Secor's advice to head southeast for the gentle bench high above the east side of Desolation Lake. At the far/southeast side of that bench is a long, prominent ramp that will take you all the way down to the shore. Thereabouts, you meet a campsite or two, and a use trail and it is fast walking back to the Piute Pass trail.

Alternately, from Steelhead you could descend more directly south, to the gorgeous white sand beach on Desolation Lake's north shore. But southbound from that white sand beach along Desolation's east shore looks to be rocky and slow going. Someone here may know.

The views of the Desolation Lakes were spectacular, all the way from the top of Steelhead Pass down to the Piute Pass trailhead. The scenery down that descent greatly exceeded our expectations. I would definitely do Steelhead southbound (not northbound) so you can stare at those views the whole way. If you have only ever seen Desolation Lake from its south/southeast shore, I can tell you that what you will see is a lot more interesting.

This is definitely not the trip to do in iffy weather, though. You are a lightning rod for miles around.

- Elizabeth
Trailguru
Topix Acquainted

Post by Trailguru »

Jesse I was considering doing a x-c trip which involves going up Bishop pass and Knapsack pass and up and down Cirque pass rejoining the JMT and back up Bishop Pass. I know its' hard but I've climbed Mt Sill from Barrett Lakes in 3 days as well

Oleander
I was up in the Desolation Lakes area last Fall. I hear Glacier Divide is incredibly scenic wit snow in it but too bad there isn't much this year. I've added that trip to my options. Thanks

Anyone else?
JohnE.McGrath
Topix Newbie

Post by JohnE.McGrath »

I just came back from 3 night trip to Desolation Lake. We went in via Horten Lakes Trail head and out Pine Creek Trail head.....basically hiked around Mt. Tom. Trail to upper Horten, then X-c till French Trail or anywhere on trail leading over Pine Creek Pass. Best to stay high from Desolation and to the right to avoid unnecessary down hill and back up climb. Three of us did this with 40 lb packs up to second upper Horten Lake and then over....unmarked saddle pass at 4 Gables. That was toughest climb.....but when there, avoid as much of the two step forward, one step back scree by hugging the rock face to the right. That keeps you out of scree and gets you to flatter area above the rock face for an easy walk to the glacier on left of saddle and over the top at 12,600 ft. Study your topo and you will see obvious way to get over the divide at four gables.

I saw incredible white sand beach many years ago, and always wanted to go there, finally found two other crazies to tackle the climb with me. Well worth it. Warm white ocean sand like beach. Totally out of place and a real wonder here. Incredible lunar landscape scenery above the tree line and lots of water. Email me for picks or more details. JohnE.McGrath@yahoo.com

People we saw said Piute trail is the not so crazy way to go.....but what fun is that?

I am looking for Hot Springs away from it all to hike to and enjoy next year. Suggestions?