Recommendations for a week-long loop in SEKI?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Recommendations for a week-long loop in SEKI?

Post by Wandering Daisy »

If contemplating Copper Creek trail, I suggest getting a next day permit after 11AM because the only way you can really beat the heat is to be on the trail by 5:30 AM. I have never had any trouble getting a campsite the night before - there are several huge campgrounds near Cedar Grove and even a free one up the road (just as you come down the canyon).
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Recommendations for a week-long loop in SEKI?

Post by MountainMinstrel »

Wandering Daisy wrote:If contemplating Copper Creek trail, I suggest getting a next day permit after 11AM because the only way you can really beat the heat is to be on the trail by 5:30 AM. I have never had any trouble getting a campsite the night before - there are several huge campgrounds near Cedar Grove and even a free one up the road (just as you come down the canyon).
There is also dispersed camping (boondocking) along the river outside of the national park.
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.