Tips for backpacking solo

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
timachine
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Tips for backpacking solo

Post by timachine »

Ive been backpacking twice. Once in Zion and did the JMT in 2011. After unsuccessfully trying to convince family and friends to go with me for the past two years, I was thinking of going solo over Bishop Pass and staying for a night in Dusy Basin for a day then hiking back out.

I think I would psyche myself at night being by myself. Does being at peace by yourself come with experience? Tips would be appreciated.

Photos of my JMT trip for your time : http://www.flickr.com/photos/66772150@N05/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by timachine on Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
austex
Topix Expert

Re: Tips for backpacking solo

Post by austex »

Solo is GREAT! Peaceful; go your own pace, stop where/when you want.... Really gets things out of your head and is VERY relaxing. I see no drawbacks except you have to carry everything no sharing loads/equipment. I've been 2x this summer and never would think 2x about it again. There are many here who go solo for whatever reasons. Me b/c I live in Tx and it's hard to find any of my L.A. friends that have my flexibility in schedule.
In a phase; awesome and satisfying.
Oh BTW; welcome to the greatest forum with equally great people.
J ney
Topix Acquainted

Post by J ney »

Welcome to HST! I do believe that with solo experience, it becomes easier to sleep alone. It is rare that I backpack with others for the same reason as you - schedules are tough, many friends don't share the same desire - and I initially was wary of camping out by myself but that dissipates quickly. I don't know if it is a "trick" but I typically try to sleep within ear-shot of some kind of stream if at all possible (and legal)... I find that WITHOUT such white-noise I occasionally become hyper-aware of every innocuous tent-rustle and pitter-patter near me.

Ultimately - at least in the our fair state- it comes down to having confidence that (a) you know what you're doing and you establish a good campsite , (b) we do not have to worry about any predators (less the very rare mountain lion and other humans that have watched Deliverance too many times), and (c) the biggest obstacle to a good nights sleep is yourself... take a moment to reflect with gratitude on how privileged we are to be a speck in this awe-inspiring wilderness (sorry for the cheez at the end)!!
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sparky »

Not sure what you mean exactly, but my first solo backpack i wasnt sure how i would react being alone for 5 days, all that nervous energy melted away with my first step on the trail.....literally the first step. I got done with the trip and got a permit, resupplied and went right back out!

Go for it, be careful, and have a good time!

I have never really tripped out on noises at night. Mountain lion tracks keep me vigilant. As for wierdos, i eyeball everyone....a result of living in a rough town, but it works.
timachine
Topix Novice

Post by timachine »

Thanks for the replies. These are the responses I was looking for; the mindset of others when they are backpacking by themselves and how the deal with being alone in the wilderness.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Timemachine,

Welcome to HST! We have our version of a time machine in the "search" feature, and
if one goes back in time they will find numerous threads similar to this one. :)
Enjoy:
http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... ing#p49236" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... ing#p62860" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... ing#p63620" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... ackpacking" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

As far as sleeping goes, I sleep terribly in the mountains whether I'm alone or with others. I find that half an Ambien does a world of good.

For me, the downside of backpacking solo is that when things go badly--when the weather is miserable, or the routefinding is difficult and frustrating, or you spill your dinner on the ground, or whatever--there's nothing to cushion it, nobody to commiserate and share the experience. I had a trip last week where one day there was a miserable cold wind all afternoon, lasting until sunset, and it just got to me--to the point that I was ready to say screw it, I'm hiking out tomorrow. I didn't, and the next day was the best of the whole trip, just a perfect day in the Sierra. Anyway, the point is that the highs can be higher because they aren't mediated through anyone else's experience, but the lows can be lower for the same reason.

Being aware of that from the start is important to making solo backpacking a good experience overall.
Tollermom
Topix Acquainted

Post by Tollermom »

I went on my first solo a couple weeks ago to Round Lake (off hwy 89/Big Meadow trailhead). It was a Sunday night so only a couple other people that I knew of were camping around the lake. The serenity was blasted by some hoodlums shooting a shotgun and exploding a couple bombs over the boulder pile from me after dinner. The explosions echoed off the surrounding cliffs for well over an hour and was very unnerving as I could not tell which direction the bullets were flying. I stood there with my hands on my hips thinking NOW what should I do?? Other than that I was fine sleeping alone. i did realize that I am more a social animal than a loner because once my tent all set up (and it was only 10:30 am), I wished I had a buddy to share some hiking and exploring with.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

I go solo about half the time, with others about half the time. The two experiences are so different that they feel like completely different avocations to me. I like both experiences.

When going solo, in my opinion, it is much more important to leave very precise itineraries and not to depart much from them. In this way, being solo is more restrictive than being with a group. But you can also carry a SPOT or beacon or satellite phone as a partial measure of safety.

Companionship can be wonderful when you share an amazing view, or if you are showing someone a special place. A bonding over a terrific experience.

Going solo I have a feeling of serenity and find I crave the feeling of solitude.
jessegooddog
Topix Regular

Post by jessegooddog »

I just returned from Cottonwood Basin on my first solo ever and I LOVED it! I really like being alone (with my dog Fred) and doing exactly what I feel like at any moment. I was unfamiliar with this area, and hadn't backpacked in over 35 years, so did expect to feel a few qualms as it darkened but really just went to sleep - I was tired! Family and non hiking friends worry, almost certainly just because I am a woman (and an official senior at that!). I know my limitations and don't go where I would not be found if I got hurt.
All packed and ready to go out again next week.