TR: Ring around the Brewer

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
John Dittli
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Ring around the Brewer

Post by John Dittli »

Too funny, I guess we were all just there; we just returned from 10 days in that area! Didn't see a soul but saw a lot of tracks, guess I know who's they were!

Look familiar?
1Untitled_Panorama1.jpg
_MG_2847.jpg
_MG_2775.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

lostcoyote wrote: (not as bad as king col tho.)
Not to stray too far off topic here, but I was just over King Col a few weeks ago. I stumbled upon a well constructed (albeit very old) trail, that was built thru all the talus. Takes one from near the middle lake, right up to the base of the chute! Pretty interesting. I figured it to be of the same vintage of the "trail" that works it's way thru the talus toward the Gardner/60 Lakes pass. Anyone know anything about these?
lostcoyote
Topix Regular

Post by lostcoyote »

does SEKI have any old maps online that would show this old route?
i did this "pass"back in the mid 80's and remember some remnants but had both snow and talus. i don't remember much but xc and the top sucked for me, going down.
does the route go along the north side of the highest (and biggest) gardiner lake thru that rubble field? i don't remember seeing any resemblances of old paths there at all....
while in contrast, north side of gardiner pass is great as is the north side of cartridge.
would love to have access to some old sierra club bulletins from the early 1900's.

ps, i think rogue did this pass a few years back.he had similar comments regarding the "chute" & ........,,,,,,,,nice shot of genevra John.
Last edited by lostcoyote on Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Shawn »

You can find old maps of the area (i.e. 1905) here:
http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/topo/california/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Since the park was named differently then, have a look at the index map first, I think Brewer shows up on the Mount Whitney map.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

A very interesting site Shawn, thanks for sharing.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

x2 on the link Shawn. Invaluable and I LOVE old maps. Thanks much!

LC: The chute off King Col is still steep hard dirt (borderline desperate). The trail starts just below and left of the chute and keeps working left via switchbacks on descent. You lose it here and there under more recent talus movement. It peters out as it leaves the talus a few hundred feet above the lake.

Likewise Gardner. It's been 20 years since I was there but the trail was intermittent but followable all the way from Charlotte Cabin. It got harder to follow up in the slickrock of Gardner Basin but then showed up again in the talus. I'm not sure it was ever finished as it just ended in the middle of that vast talus field before gaining the pass.
Trailguru
Topix Acquainted

Post by Trailguru »

Okay

You folks are killing me here
I'm much too new to the Sierras to know all these places. I know you were at East Lake and Lake Reflection but then you said you went over a class III pass. Was that Harrison? Lucy's foot? or Longley Pass down to Brewer Lake?
lostcoyote
Topix Regular

Post by lostcoyote »

none of the above.
(her name was milly)

i enjoyed the nameless places shown on the trip report.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

This is the pass Trailguru: HST Map
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Trailguru
Topix Acquainted

Post by Trailguru »

Did OP go over Milly's Foot Pass from Lake Reflection to Kern Headwaters basin and then BACK UP MFP? I know for a fact you must have gone up Longley's Pass since I tried to do so back in 2006 but only made it up as far as Sphinx Lakes (the highest one)