TR: Desolation via Meeks 8/1-8/4

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
gochicagobears!
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Desolation via Meeks 8/1-8/4

Post by gochicagobears! »

TahoeJeff wrote:A few years ago I talked to a horse packer who had set up camp near the inlet to #5. He reported that fishing out of an inflatable boat using flashers and worms, he caught a 5-7 lb. brown...
That lake was one of the first to get Mack plants in Ca. in the late 1800s. I would be willing to bet that there is a MONSTER down deep swimming around there.
I've often thought of bringing my float tube for shorter hikes, but have always wussed out in favor of carrying less weight. Maybe sometime when I'm up there for an extended weekend and do it as a day-hike....
larree0
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Desolation via Meeks 8/1-8/4

Post by larree0 »

We made the same trip in early Sept. saw lots of small risers in the flats at lake 2, not much at 3 but it was hot and we only stayed for an hour before making the short ugly climb back to the trail, can't believe there's not a use trail from lake 2 inlet creek to 3 .
Saw only two nice -looking risers on far side lake 5 but my fly rod was in Oregon, so no confirmation. Very pretty setting tho.
Thx for the report.
One hiker from further up reported better luck at a higher lake.