Local Hiking Advice Request (Fresno)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
sheperd80
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Local Hiking Advice Request (Fresno)

Post by sheperd80 »

Sorry if this is a little off topic, I wasnt sure where to put it. Im looking for some nice day hikes that my girlfriend and I can do together near Fresno. Shes not up for the high sierra stuff that I do.

After some searching ive found several trails around Millerton Lake. Anyone experienced these?

I know its asking a lot, but I thought it couldnt hurt to ask. If anyone has any info on short (less than 5 miles total) fairly scenic or otherwise interesting dayhikes in short driving distance (preferably under an hour) id love to hear about it. If fishing is an option thats a bonus! :-)

Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Re: Local Hiking Advice Request (Fresno)

Post by giantbrookie »

sheperd80 wrote:Sorry if this is a little off topic, I wasnt sure where to put it. Im looking for some nice day hikes that my girlfriend and I can do together near Fresno. Shes not up for the high sierra stuff that I do.

After some searching ive found several trails around Millerton Lake. Anyone experienced these?

I know its asking a lot, but I thought it couldnt hurt to ask. If anyone has any info on short (less than 5 miles total) fairly scenic or otherwise interesting dayhikes in short driving distance (preferably under an hour) id love to hear about it. If fishing is an option thats a bonus! :-)

Thanks.

I guess the question is how near Fresno? Given the heat, hiking in the lowlands during the summer isn't all that pleasant, so you want some altitude to get cooler. I realize you wanted something reachable in under an hour, but if you want to be hiking someplace that isn't 100F you need to drive an hour or more from Fresno. It is only a one hour drive to Shaver Lake, for example, and an hour and a half to Huntington. Even Shaver is commonly up at about 85-90 when Fresno is at 100. Courtright is about 1 hr 45 min and it is over 8000' in elevation. Simply taking a stroll along the shores of those road-accessed lakes would be a refreshing break from the heat, plus you can fish for put-and-take rainbows and occasional browns (in Courtright and Huntington).
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sheperd80
Topix Regular

Post by sheperd80 »

Thanks GB i see your point, but I think shaver et al are still pretty smokey right now right?

Millerton is gonna be 88 saturday supposedly. Pincushion Mt trail sounds fairly interesting, we might try that.

takotruckin
Topix Acquainted

Re: Local Hiking Advice Request (Fresno)

Post by takotruckin »

There is a nature trail that follows the river at Lost Lake park below millerton, I'm not sure how far it goes though.