Cox Col and Gabbot Pass Loop

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Cox Col and Gabbot Pass Loop

Post by maverick »

Hi Bmorrow,

Welcome to HST! Thank you for the update! Hopefully you will delight us with a TR
of your trip there. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
macpaulster
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: Cox Col and Gabbot Pass Loop

Post by macpaulster »

Hi,

Literally just got back from this trip in reverse. We hiked over Mono Pass, starting in early afternoon. Spent the night at Golden Lake, then headed toward Pioneer Basin. Dropped some gear at the trail junction and explored Pioneer Basin by making a loop with light packs. Totally worth it! Then picked up the gear, and proceeded to Second Recess and camped part way up the trail. Next day was Gabbot Pass, a beast of 4,000' climb from that direction (it's easy from the South (Italy Lake). Our route finding wasn't perfect and we ended up hacking through some Willows on the way, but once things cleared out at Lower Mills Lake, it was a cake walk. Spent a layover day in Italy Lake Basin before heading up to "Cox Col." Secor's book says the easy route is SOUTH of the low notch. We took that route, and trust me, it isn't Class 2. Probably due to the dry year and lots of traffic, it was very loose and extremely tricky to navigate in the down climb direction. I wouldn't do it again. Wish I knew about North Col. Secor's book also says that Cox Col is the only reasonable crossing so we took that literally.

But... it was a splendid trip. We spent the night after Cox Col at the lower of Treasure Lakes with a spectacular view to the North down the Little Lakes Valley. Much quieter than Gem Lakes.

If you have any other questions about current conditions, let me know. Have fun!