Cox Col and Gabbot Pass Loop

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
John Dittli
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Cox Col and Gabbot Pass Loop

Post by John Dittli »

Sorry to leave you hanging on this, I just got back from ten days "outback".

Secor confused things quite a bit with the "Cox Col" thing. Both "passes" take you to the same place. The lower notch is used mostly by those wishing to climb Bear Creek Spire. We use it in the spring when it is a bit easier to kick steps up the snow, and ski down it in the winter (exciting!). But in summer (or even winter or spring on skis really), it's just the "wrong way" to go IMHO.

The higher northern route is the proper and historical "col".
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
Ska-T
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Ska-T »

John Dittli wrote:Secor confused things quite a bit with the "Cox Col" thing. ... The higher northern route is the proper and historical "col".
Our HST Map describes the route as Secor does, " the 1st notch south of the lowest is preferred". It would be nice if this were corrected, but since I've never been there I'm not the one to encourage it.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

I know about the easier route but I could never be bothered to climb up the extra little bit.

What's the historical angle on this? Is "Cox Col" actually labled somewhere (USGS?) as being something other than the lowest point? Who was Cox?
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

Chris Cox, backcountry skier of the '70's and 80's. Skied with Bard atal. Still lives in Bishop, great guy! But no, I don't know of an other reference. The "historic" angle I was referring to is that the general pass area was referred to as "North Col" for many years prior to Peaks, Passes and Trails.

Unfortunately I don't have great pics, but here to the right you can see the two notches Secor talks about.
1106_ 1680_D1A.jpg
This is looking across the terrain toward the low point from near North Col.
1106_ 1589_D1L.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by John Dittli on Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

- Cox Pass was named in the honor of Chris Cox, one of the pioneers of the Redline ski
tour, but not sure whether this official or not.
- Mount Julius Caesar is named by Alfred H. and Myrtle Prater who in 1928 made the
first assent to its summit. Name came about by its proximity to Lake Italy.
- Mount Abbot named by the Whitney Survey in 1864 for Henry Larcom
Abbot (1831-1927) a solider and engineer.
- Mount Gabb also named by the Whitney Survey in 1862 for William More Gabb
(1839-1878) a paleontologist.
- Mount Hilgard was named after Eugene Woldemar Hilgard (1833-1916) a professor
of agriculture.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

Thanks. That name rings a bell. I must have seen mention of him in one of Moynier's guidebooks, or somewhere.

So who is this "North" guy the other pass is named after?
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

longri wrote: So who is this "North" guy the other pass is named after?
Oliver
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

JD wrote:

Oliver
:lol:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

Chris a few years ago
092_47_D1A.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Note that Secor, 2nd edition considers North Col and Cox Col synonymous rather than separate passes. Quote: "This pass is also known as North Col." I went over this in the summer of 1986 (6 yrs before Secor 1st ed) and I'm pretty sure I didn't go over the lowest point. I looked at the topo and looked at the terrain and aimed for the lowest gradient rather than the lowest point. It was strictly class 2 moderate angle firm talus on the E side (very easy class 1 stuff on W side), but the biggest problem when I did it was the steep snow just below the crest that made an ice axe handy (we had them). I have checked back through earlier guidebooks (Roper, Smatko, Voge) and they don't have a description of this route, so I may have heard about this indirectly through Loma Prieta PCS folks.

The key, as always, is reading the terrain on the map and on the ground, rather than being too dependent on blow-by-blow route descriptions. There are in fact a number of cross country ridge crossings where the easiest point of crossing is not a low point, and a few counterintuitive ones where the easiest crossing is a high point (two examples are Picket Guard Peak and Electra Peak).
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;