Missing friend in Mammoth Lakes /Tuolumne area

Use this forum to stay informed on missing persons alerts, active SAR's and unfortunate hiker accidents we can all hopefully learn from. Any information you may have on a missing person, including first hand weather related information or any other insight (however little) may prove to be critical information to Law Enforcement / SAR in locating the person in question.
tdavidock
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Missing friend in Mammoth Lakes /Tuolumne area

Post by tdavidock »

Thanks Maverick- this looks like Matt's style. I have been checking on his tent, and it sounds like it was a 1 person Big Agnes- not sure about the color, but the flys are mainly white. Again, we don't know for sure if he had it with him. Waiting to hear back from PD.

We're pushing as hard as we can to get some people out there tomorrow. Hopefully we will. Thank you again for all of your help. It means a lot.
tdavidock
Topix Acquainted

Post by tdavidock »

Latest update-

There is a group going to Lyell today to check the summit register. Another group with SAR members is heading to Ritter. Also, the helicopter got the green light!!! All of you that have provided information here and in other forums, thank you! Please know that the support and and knowledge of the climbing community really helped to make all of this happen. Being back on the east coast makes this very hard for me and many of Matt's friends and family. Thanks to all of you, those 3000 miles don't seem quite as far. Thank you!

Tom
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Happy to help in any way we can Tom! Great news about SAR getting involved!!!!
If you saw a tent similar to this around 7/16 in the Ediza-1000 Is Lake please
contact MPD:
1 person Big Agnes: http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/i ... +big+agnes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
tdavidock
Topix Acquainted

Post by tdavidock »

Today's Update:

Crews went into Ritter yesterday and concentrated on the lower areas. They did not summit, but individuals are working to get a helicopter to transport a team to the summit team today to the base of the snowfield. Also, plan is to have the chopper do a aerial search a little after noon today if conditions with the fire cooperate.

Again, if anyone is going to Ritter or Lyell, please check the registers. Also, if anyone knows of individuals that have submitted these peaks in the last several weeks, please let us know. I will continue to post any additional info that I have.

Thank you-
Tom
artrock23
Topix Acquainted

Post by artrock23 »

I don't know if you saw my post on SP, but I was on the summit of Mt. Lyell on Monday 7/29. When signing the register, I only looked at a few of the other entries (back to 7/25). One would need ice axe and crampons to ascend Lyell Glacier. Let me know if there's any beta I can offer.
tdavidock
Topix Acquainted

Post by tdavidock »

Here is the latest (posted from his family):

I received updates through Bill w/ SAR and ran through everything with Matts friend Tony as well. Unfortunately, the search did not yield anything. The helicopter was able to do an aerial while the ground crews were out but they did not uncover any evidence of Matt. They did take a bunch of pictures while they were out that they will be reviewing and zooming in on to make sure nothing was missed. He did not sign the registers at the top of Banner or Ritter. Yosemite is still suppose to check the one at Lyell, though SAR does not think it's probable he would be there. SAR took pictures of the registers and are also pulling what info they can from permits issued to try and call/email those individuals to see if anyone might have any info on Matt. The fellow from the repair station is not of any circumstance; he was back a few days now and was actually part of SAR; the only thing Matt spoke to him about was his car repair. They went through Matt's gear again and established that he was not equipped for overnight; tent/bivvy/sleeping bag/stove/heavy jacket were all still with gear. Additionally, no rope or technical equipment was missing so they don't believe he was attempting any climbs. That about sums it up; I'll be editing the notes too with all this. I really think at this point that we need nationwide media coverage to get new leads and get them quick. I've contacted the major ones (Fox, NBC, CNN) but need to hound them more to get some attention brought to this story ASAP.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Sorry to read Tom that SAR was unsuccessful in finding Matt or any further evidence which
would point to his whereabouts.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
tdavidock
Topix Acquainted

Post by tdavidock »

Please take a moment and take a look at the Flickr Page that was created for Matt. There are photos on there and a few videos of Matt. Please share with anyone that may have been in the area in the past couple of weeks. If more people see his face, maybe somebody will remember something.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/findmattgreene/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks-

Tom
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

I am not sure I am understanding this. So, they have all of his overnight gear accounted for. Where was it? In the car? In the backcountry? At a trailhead? Which trailhead? That info would help us who are most familiar with the area to come up with some suggestions.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Doyle wrote:

I am not sure I am understanding this. So, they have all of his overnight gear
accounted for. Where was it? In the car? In the backcountry? At a trailhead?
Which trailhead? That info would help us who are most familiar with the area
to come up with some suggestions.

Hi Doyle,

Did you have a chance to read the Sierrawave link in which it says he was staying at
the Shady Rest Campground while his car was being fixed. Pages of his guide book
had the Banner/Ritter missing so they are assumed that he went to climb these
peaks, possibly as a day hike.