Backpack trip Oct 28-29 in the Eastern Sierra (location tbd)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Backpack trip Oct 28-29 in the Eastern Sierra (location tbd)

Post by Snow Nymph »

Date: Oct 28-29

Location: Cottonwood Lakes, Big Pine Lakes, Onion Valley, Rock Creek or somewhere out of Bishop???

Trip level: moderate (kids welcome)

Who wants to go?
Last edited by Snow Nymph on Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Trekker
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Trekker »

Any one of those sounds fine with me. Might be dependent on road conditions, if we get an early start to winter. :(
krudler
Founding Member

Post by krudler »

Are you saying like a weekend trip? I could totally be in for such a thing.

Might I also add the most excellent (and marginally warmer) Domeland Wilderness to the list? It is perfect at that time.
"Krusty, you know Bette Midler?"
"Yeah we own a racehorse together - the Krudler!"
huts

Post by huts »

I'm game.
Trailtrekker06
Topix Regular

Post by Trailtrekker06 »

Sounds good to me.
Trail Bud
Topix Acquainted

Post by Trail Bud »

I'm in too
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

Cool! Yeah, weekend trip!

Krudler, I'm not familiar with that area. The only time I backpacked south of Olancha was at Kennedy Meadows, and the water we found (I think it was by Deer Mtn) was little puddles surrounded by cowpies. We had to scoop the water into the pot and filter from the pot a little at a time. That's one reason I don't go south of Lone Pine. I remember your photos having running water, so that might be doable.

Some of us talked about the Eastern Sierra, that's why I mentioned the places above.

We'll see how the weather holds up. Might end up as a snow camp by then!
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

I'd love to go too, if I can get "family leave" (I think our 2 year old is still too young for a "kids OK" trip).

Snow Nymph: good point about water in Domelands. We went a couple of Octobers ago (to the Rockhouse Basin area) with a friend who never had backpacked before. I had to do a 5 mile detour hike to fetch water for the three of us in our party -- all the streams I remembered from a June trip were completely dry. It's also a long long drive to get anywhere in that area. And our non-backpacking friend will probably never go backpacking again!
Skibum
Founding Member

Post by Skibum »

Sounds great! Count me in. :nod:
wingding

Post by wingding »

Darn, i'd love to get in on a group trip and meet some more of the highsierratopix clan, but that's my weekend for trying to get from Palm Springs to the top of San Jacinto. I've gotten as far as the tram before but I haven't made it all the way to the top of the mountain yet.

Maybe there will be a group trip to the desert this winter?