First Snow This Weekend and Record Low Temps

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
rightstar76
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

First Snow This Weekend and Record Low Temps

Post by rightstar76 »

I just read a special weather statement from the Sacramento office of the NWS. This Friday may be one of the ten coldest September 15ths in history. The last times September 15 was colder than normal was in 1977 and 1986 according to NWS. NWS is also warning that it may snow as low as 6500 feet in the northern Sierra.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

I guess I better bring extra clothes this weekend. We got snowed on 9/20/05 and 9/19/04. :(
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Trailtrekker06
Topix Regular

Post by Trailtrekker06 »

WAIT! I am not ready for snow yet!!!!!!!!
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Ought to kick aspen groves into fall change mode while they are still robust enough to handle a brief cold snap. ...David
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

I recall a spectacularly cold weekend September 1986, because I took my wife (or, rather wife-to-be; it was about 2 years before we married) on her first Sierra backpacking trip. It was supposed to be this leisurely fall stroll in Little Lakes Valley. It was so cold that we watched as one lake started freezing over in mid afternoon in full sun. Fishing became impossible as all line guides iced up (again in mid afternoon) and the spinning reels became clumps of ice. I've been on a number of cold fall trips, but that one stands out. My notes say we were in there Sept. 20 and 21 (a few days after the 15th) and it was still amazingly cold.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;