TR 7/8-15 Blackcap Basin Plus

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
jessegooddog
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: TR 7/8-15 Blackcap Basin Plus

Post by jessegooddog »

I love reading your reports and seeing your beautiful photos, they are especially inspiring for me, an official senior woman who loves hiking and now backpacking alone. Your dog stayed home this time??
Bluewater
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Bluewater »

"I had initially intended to drop down the North Fork and climb the hillside to the northwest back to the trailhead (all off-trail)".

Thanks for your report. I always enjoy your photos and narrative.

I noticed that you mentioned something about a possible cross country route down the North Fork.

A few years ago I hiked from the parking lot on the east side of Courtright Dam to some sandy beach camp sites along the North Fork Kings (red line). I day hiked a short way up the North Fork (blue line).

I have always wondered if there is a reasonable route heading north along the North Fork Kings to the trail, just before it meets the Fleming Creek junction (green line).

Do you have any experience with this area? It would be a useful short-cut on the way to Blackcap Basin.

Thanks again, Andy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

A route down the North Fork from the trail to Wishon Reservoir is described in RJ Secor's guide. I was just going to head directly west, uphill from the large wide section of the river shown on the map at 7,000 feet. I think that is the route you show on your post, however, the map was too small for me to make out details. I looked at Google Maps and the topos and thought it would go. The only problem I see is the lack of water and heat on this very dry south facing slope. There are climber's use-trails in the area of all those domes near the trailhead. I punted because of the excessive heat. I think I will try it later in the year.
Bluewater
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR 7/8-15 Blackcap Basin Plus

Post by Bluewater »

Thanks WD!The place where it widens at 7,000 feet is just the spot where I headed west back to the t/h. I was able to follow some of those use trails. I will check Secor for the route description.