Good Times on the Silver Divide

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
huts

Post by huts »

Thank you for reminding me of the beauty of this area. I met my husband a little downstream of the bridge in Fish Valley and we haunted this area for several years. We did make it to Red and White Lake (ye-ha!) but we were too busy on the creek most of the time to take the trip to Hortense. Other than that we did much the same as this trip...but in reverse.
madeintahoe
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by madeintahoe »

Krudler....I love the plunge pools..this area in the forest and the creek reminds me a little of a few places here in Tahoe. Really looks like this was nice trip. That Hortense Lake is gorgeous. Your pictures are gorgeous! I can't see all of them as there are those silly RedX by a few, I will keep trying
Thank you :)
Buck Forester
Founding Member

Post by Buck Forester »

Fantasic images! What a great adventure! Hey, I might see you in Tehipite Valley... we're planning on going up the M.F. Kings River to Tehipite Valley sometime in October, starting at Yucca Point, weather-willing. We need low flows and no storms. We're remaining flex on the dates, watching the weather, but that'd be cool if we were there the same weekend as you!
krudler
Founding Member

Post by krudler »

Wow Buck, if I see you out there, in one of the most remote and rugged spots in the range, that will be too cool! :)

We're going Sept 30 - Oct 6, which means we'll be on the valley floor Oct 2,3, and 4 (and I guess half of the 1st as well, that's when we'll arrive). If you see 5 or 6 guys flyfishing, that's us!

Although, I guess that's pretty obvious since there probably wont be anyone else around :)
"Krusty, you know Bette Midler?"
"Yeah we own a racehorse together - the Krudler!"
Buck Forester
Founding Member

Post by Buck Forester »

We're probably gonna be a couple weeks later than that, shoot. Soon you'll be looking down on this http://www.flickr.com/photos/brianernst/114531986/ Don't let your excitement get in front of your knees on the way down!
Telkwa
Topix Acquainted

Post by Telkwa »

krudler -
Great fun looking at your pictures. I lost track of your dates. On which days did you drop down to Izaak Walton, then x-ctry over to Tully Lake? Did you go past Cotton?
Reason I ask is cause Patti and I came over Shout-of-Relief Pass on Aug 30, camped at Cotton, then went around Izaak Walton Lake on the way to Tully Hole the next morning.
Thanks for the shots of Hortense!!
Buck Forester
Founding Member

Post by Buck Forester »

Hey krudler, I was doing a photo search on Tehipite on Flickr and I came across this recent set from some people backpacking in there. Don't mind the bikini girl, ha! Looks like they're holding up nice stringers of 12" rainbows in a couple of those pics. I know big browns lurk.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/adindasukardi/
krudler
Founding Member

Post by krudler »

Whoa Buck! Thanks for the pics! Looks like conditions are going to be perfect....although we wont have such good...ahem...scenery ;)

Telkwa, we got to Hortense on the 29th and went through the Izaak/Cotton area the afternoon of the 30th.
"Krusty, you know Bette Midler?"
"Yeah we own a racehorse together - the Krudler!"