Good Times on the Silver Divide

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
krudler
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by krudler »

Thanks Dave!

Thanks gb, all your previous comments about lakes and differences in fish due to spawning habitat, feeding habits, etc, was really sticking in my mind the whole time! :) I had really hoped Hortense would not disappoint me, based on a rumor of good fish I had heard or read somewhere earlier this year. Once I saw a pic of the place I decided I just had to include it on a trip! Once interesting thing was Tully Lake. I really thought there would be goldens in there based on what I had read about it and seen documented elsewhere, but I was surprised when we started pulling out nice brookies. Maybe they were still in there somewhere though. Wish we had been able to get up to Red&White too, but my friend was kind of ready to go I think. I figured I would have plenty of time to do more the next week (I was going to go to Pioneer Basin on a solo 5-day trip) so I didn't push it, but as it turns out my father-in-law was in the hospital so I had to cruise home for a few days and that changed the plans. Once he was ok though I was able to backpack up the Kern River a ways (about 5 miles above the J-dale bridge) on a brief 3-day trip and I caught one of the biggest trout of my life, a 15.5". PLUS a 14.5. On dry flies! Granted I only caught 5 fish in 3 days but those two really made it worth it, it was cool.

Anyway thanks for all your fishing info and tips especially with regard to this trip, it was a big help.
"Krusty, you know Bette Midler?"
"Yeah we own a racehorse together - the Krudler!"
wingding

Post by wingding »

Thanks for sharing your trip report and pictures. I really liked the pictures of the Hortense Lake area and the shot in the hot springs. I've never run into hot springs while out backpacking.
TehipiteTom
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by TehipiteTom »

Great pictures, interesting report. Hortense Lake is a favorite of mine--got to get back there someday--and the X-C from there to Cotton Lake/Fish Creek tarns is a great one.
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

Yes, thank you for sharing. Some of your photos look like the stuff I went thru on my trip a few weeks back. I tried xc over to Hortense but as the norm I didn't study my map enough and got into trouble within 30 minutes. I should have just hiked up the hill out of Izaak Walton and I would have been there. I did that on my first trip thru the area some years back, but only went as fas as to see the lower lake was a drop down and I didn't want to do that on that day. Your trip was more enjoyable than mine I am sure as I was solo.
Piece of cake.
krudler
Founding Member

Post by krudler »

Thanks duane, all your previous comments and info really helped me out. Seems the easiest way to get from Izaak to Hortense is indeed to just go right up the hill to Mace Lake and then from there its a short and easy hop to the upper end of Hortense. Scenic as all getout for sure.

Thanks Tehipite Tom - in fact I'm going to Tehipite myself in about 3 weeks....cant wait!

Thanks Kathy, but I was just trying to meet the pretty high bar you've set with all your great pics and trip reports in the past! :)
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

krudler wrote:Thanks Tehipite Tom - in fact I'm going to Tehipite myself in about 3 weeks....cant wait!
My goodness you're doing some good trips this year! I can't wait to see your report for that one.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

krudler wrote:Thanks Tehipite Tom - in fact I'm going to Tehipite myself in about 3 weeks....cant wait!
Awesome! I haven't been there since 1999, and I'm itching to go back...

...but then there are so many places I want to go back to, and so many places I haven't been to yet...so I'm torn.
krudler
Founding Member

Post by krudler »

giantbrookie wrote:My goodness you're doing some good trips this year! I can't wait to see your report for that one.
Aye, I'm trying to get them all in. There is a pretty good chance (or at least a hopeful one) that a year from now I maybe living somewhere else, like Montana, or going back to Florida. Depends on how long the father-in-law can withstand the lung cancer. I made a pretty strong committment this year to try to make sure I was able to knock out some trips I have wanted to do for a long time, as there was a pretty good chance this season might be my last opportunity.

I for sure promise a Tehipite report with pics! It will possibly be the crown jewel of my adventures here.
huts

Post by huts »

Thank you for reminding me of the beauty of this area. I met my husband a little downstream of the bridge in Fish Valley and we haunted this area for several years. We did make it to Red and White Lake (ye-ha!) but we were too busy on the creek most of the time to take the trip to Hortense. Other than that we did much the same as this trip...but in reverse.
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

Krudler....I love the plunge pools..this area in the forest and the creek reminds me a little of a few places here in Tahoe. Really looks like this was nice trip. That Hortense Lake is gorgeous. Your pictures are gorgeous! I can't see all of them as there are those silly RedX by a few, I will keep trying
Thank you :)