badger flat campground availability during week?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
TCHN DAD
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by TCHN DAD »

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience with campsite availability at Badger Flat campground near the Twin lakes Trail heads during the week? I am not interested in the group campground that is accessible through reserve america. I am considering staying there before setting off on a two night backpacking trip.

Our trip is scheduled to start on Monday of next week, 7/29, leaving from Los Angeles. We will arrive on Monday afternoon, stay through Thursday, and leave on Friday morning. Tuesday and Wednesday nights are a backpacking trip into Twin Lakes.

Thanks

Rod
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: badger flat campground availability during week?

Post by maverick »

Hi Rod,

The Sierra NF site usage as "light" which means during the week you should not have
any problems getting a site.
http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsint ... Campground" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

a fire has closed all trails in that area. you will want to call the nf office in prather and see about conditions of other trails.

we are heading to courtright instead. my group is a backpacking class, all newbs, so we will be heading to cliff or hobler.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Was hoping the lightening was not going to start up any fires in this dangerously
dry year. :(
http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOC ... 429099.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
korkwood
Topix Newbie

Post by korkwood »

I have camped at Badger Flat many times, it's not used much, never a problem finding spot.
There is another trail head called Rattlesnake close to Sample Meadow campground, I like camping there much more than at Badger Flat. But Badger Flat has great forest road after crossing creek over new bridge. 4wd is needed to get more than a mile up this road leading to abandoned farm and great secluded camping.
Twin lakes is great trail.
TCHN DAD
Topix Novice

Post by TCHN DAD »

korkwood wrote:I have camped at Badger Flat many times, it's not used much, never a problem finding spot.
There is another trail head called Rattlesnake close to Sample Meadow campground, I like camping there much more than at Badger Flat. But Badger Flat has great forest road after crossing creek over new bridge. 4wd is needed to get more than a mile up this road leading to abandoned farm and great secluded camping.
Twin lakes is great trail.
Hi,

Just to clarify, it seems like from your post, that the road to Badger flat is a good road, but after Badger Flat, you need 4wd to go farther up to an abandon farm. Is that correct?

I need to be able to get into Badger Flat CG to set up base with my pop up tent trailer. I dont' have 4wd.

I am assuming that you can get to Badger Flat before Kaiser Pass road narrows. Is that correct?

Cheers

Rod