Theodore Solomons Trail?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Theodore Solomons Trail?

Post by AlmostThere »

There's fishing in Helms Meadows? news to me. I guess some of the mosquitos might be big enough to eat?
lambertiana
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by lambertiana »

To give you an idea of the possible water situation, I went in mid-August of 2007, which was a 70% snow year in that area. We camped at the third creek crossing after Rodger's Creek. The first two creeks were too dry, but the third had decent flow. It wasn't a roaring cascade, but had sufficient flow to get water without any trouble. We had to clear a spot to camp because the growth was dense. I don't know how much of that immediate area was impacted by the 2008 forest fire.

There is a decent campsite at Gnat Meadow (often called Hay Meadow on maps) but the creek there didn't have a terrific flow when we went by. It would have been possible to get enough water for our use, but not much more.
Oubliet
Topix Acquainted

Post by Oubliet »

I hiked a section of the Solomons trail in 2006. I went from Clover Meadow through the Kaiser Wilderness and exited the Maxson TH near Courtwright Reservoir a week later.

The trail was suffering from a lot of deadfall in the Kaiser W. section (aka. "California Riding Trail"). In some places, it was hard to tell where the trail was.

I have heard that the Backcountry Horsemen's Association did a lot of work a few years ago to cut the downfall and clear the trail. I haven't been back down there to see what it looks like, now.
Elwood
Topix Acquainted

Post by Elwood »

Does anyone have any recent reports of water availability between Badger Flat & Roads End, along the Theodore Solomons Trail? Thanks! Elwood
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

The lakes all have water. The meadows are drying up fast. No bets on creeks - they are running now, however, who knows what will happen over the next month.
Elwood
Topix Acquainted

Post by Elwood »

My buddies & I will be hiking from Badger Flat Campground to Roads End Aug 5th to the 11th. Two spots will be camping at that water availability concerns me are: Helms Meadow & Rodgers Creek? Two more camps will be at lakes, & the other two will be in Tehipite Valley, so water shouldn't be an issue at these camps.
Elwood
Topix Acquainted

Post by Elwood »

Our hike is coming up in two weeks & I was hoping someone has current water conditions for either Helms Meadow or Rodgers Creek? Thanks!
Oubliet
Topix Acquainted

Post by Oubliet »

The publisher of the Dennis Gagnon "Guide to the Theodore Solomons Trail" will soon be releasing a Kindle e-version of the out-of-print book.

Also, Gary Buscombe's pamphlet guide to the same trail may be updated after some trail research is conducted this next year and re-issued as an e-book. There's also been some discussion as to the possibility of re-printing a paper version.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

I wonder if Elwood made his trip?